Latch Hook Rug Project Pillow

Instead of a rug, this latch hook rug project was made into a pillow for my granddaughter who takes jiujitsu classes. I found this pattern of a girl wearing a gi.

Total Time: 20+ hours

Yield: 1

1. Choose desired pattern (I chose a counted cross stitch pattern of a girl wearing a gi since my granddaughter takes classes in Jiujitsu.)
  2. Cut yarn into 5" pieces out of desired colors for the pattern you chose. You will be estimating how much to cut out. (I used white for the background, red for the hair, flesh for the skin, gray and black for the gi, and a dark gray for the belt.) Don't cut too many pieces of the yarn to avoid waste. You can always cut more yarn out as you go. Cut rug canvas to desired size and large enough for the design and to allow a border around the design. You will need to count how many squares the design has in it and count squares of canvas accordingly. Using a latch hook, start "hooking" the yarn through the canvas, beginning at any part of the pattern. Insert the hook into the canvas, fold the 5" piece of yarn in half and loop over the hook. Pull the yarn through the canvas with the hook and release. The last picture shows the completed "stitch."
  3. Advertisement

4. Continue using this basic stitch until the pattern design is complete. Fill in the background around the design with desired contrasting yarn, leaving a couple of rows all the way around the canvas to allow for stitching a fabric border. The first picture shows what the project looks like on the front before with part of it trimmed and part of it not. The second picture shows the design on the wrong side of the canvas. The last picture shows the completed design with the yarn trimmed.
  5. Add fabric strips to the sides of canvas, making a border, and fitting to size of pillow form. Cut fabric for the back to fit (I used both white and black fabric to coordinate with front). Sew fabric strips to all four sides of canvas on the front of the pillow. With right sides of front and back together, pin front to back, leaving one shorter side open. Sew around the other three sides with a half inch seam. Turn. Insert pillow form. Turn down raw edges of remaining "open" side and hand sew opening closed with blind hem stitch.
  6. Advertisement

I remember doing latch hook when I was a young girl in the 70s. Thanks for reminding me of this easy craft.

Crafts Rugs Latch Hook RugsJuly 14, 2020
🌻
😎
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Latch-Hook-Rug-Project-Pillow.html

Latch Hook RugsRugs