Leftover Corned Beef Split Pea Soup
From the corned beef dinner on Saint Patrick's Day, I froze 3 baggies of sliced meat. I also had two containers of the water I boiled everything in, thinking it would make great soup stock.
Well, it did! I made the other day, a green split pea soup from using the stock and cutting up small cubes of corned beef. It came out so delicious and so different. A better flavor!
- 6 qt soup stock & water or chicken broth
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 lb green split peas
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- seasonings to taste, Old Bay Seasoning, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, bay leaf, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, & salt
- meat as you like. I used the thawed corned beef leftovers, cubed up
- Using a large soup pot, add the thawed soup stock. Add enough water or chicken broth to make 6 quarts.
- Add all minced vegetables and split peas. Bring to a rapid boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add all your spices and meat.
- Let this simmer for about 3-4 hours, stirring quite often.
- Do a test taste after the first hour, make adjustments to spices if needed.
- This will be a nice thick and meaty Green Split Pea Soup!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.