Lighting Candles with Matches Safely

All winter long, I burn candles but it gets harder to light them with an ordinary match when there is only a little left. I buy fireplace matches at Home Depot. They are much longer than regular matches, and prevent me from burning myself.

Regardless of which match I use, I always rinse it with water before I throw it away. This makes sure that it is not hot enough to ignite the trash in the wastebasket.

I totally was ready with using fireplace matches to light a candle, also running water over the lit match after The Candle is lit to ensure that the match is completely extinguished. I also count the number of candles that I like and then write that number down and have someone in the house to be accountable with me for the number of candles that are lit in the home to prevent a fire at the time of extinguishing the candles I recount them as I extinguish them and then check the number that I wrote down to ensure that all the candles are out and there's no danger of a fire caused by a lit candle

That is a terrific idea if you burn more than one candle at a time. Thank you for posting.

You can also use a piece of dry spaghetti to light a candle, light it with a regular match or a stove burner if you happen to be cooking at the moment. Long enough to light more than 1 candle at a time, too!

I just get a grill lighter or two at clearance time for my candle lighting needs. There are also refillable ones if you light a lot of candles.

Anonymous

When lighting jar candes, first light the regular short match, then use a scissors to hold it while you light the candle. I got the idea while trimming the wick of a jar candle that was burned low. It works. Or as someone wrote, use the long fireplace/grill lighters which is what I now do.

Such great ideas! Thanks, everyone.