Living Better With Less

Whether by choice or financial circumstance, we are sometimes required to make do with less. Surprisingly, this change in life style can be a very good thing. This is a guide about living better with less.

I quit my job 13 months ago and started traveling with my husband. We are living on about $30,000 less a year, and are loving it! We own a 3,000 square foot home but have reduced my needs to what will fit into Rubbermaid bins and the back of the truck. All of this has been so freeing.

Must haves:

After a recent visit home, I realized that I was getting tense because there was so much work associated with all my stuff. I have pictures of my family as my only one splurge on the road. I am in the process of scanning and loading onto CDs to see as a slide show.

My tip is to unload a lot of the stuff that is not essential to everyday life. If you have to dust it, move it, or clean it and it is not adding anything to your daily life, get rid of it.

By Meemaw

I am naturally frugal by nature and often complain that there are NO new frugal tips and hints. These are not new or difficult ideas BUT they do work for me and are tried and true ways to save money!

Laundry Room

Bathrooms

Kitchen and Pantry

Bedrooms or Living Areas

Entertainment

Shopping

Clothing

Holidays

Crafting

Miscellaneous

I hope a few of these work for you and help you save some of your hard earned money!

Diana from Prospect, KY

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I am planning to retire in the next three to five years. I have been thinking a lot about making sure I am in the best financial situation possible. I realized that it is really my second time planning to live on less income. 35 years ago I left the workforce to raise my family. That was temporary; this is probably going to be permanent. A lot of the things I did then to prepare for less income I am doing now.

I have always been a bit of a cheapskate and as I get older I have grown to realize that I am not a "cheapskate", I am Frugal! And might I say I am proud of it! It started in my 20s.

I know this isn't a "Nuts and Bolts" description of frugality but this is how I feel with the holidays approaching. The older I get the more I realize that living as simply as possible is not only frugal, but good for the spirit.