Lobster Mac and Cheese
This delicious three cheese lobster and macaroni casserole is delicious and surprisingly inexpensive per serving. This is a guide about making lobster mac and cheese.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
For special occasions, my husband and I like to order lobster mac and cheese. We've recently realized, as good as it is, it's just not worth $20 for a plate! Here's a recipe for lobster mac and cheese for under $3 a serving.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 16 oz pasta of choice
- 2 fresh lobster tails
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the dry pasta and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered until it is firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Reserve 2 cups of the hot pasta water, then drain the pasta in a colander set in the sink.
- Return the pasta water to the large pot and place the lobster tails in the pot, cut-side up. Return the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and steam the lobster just until the meat firms and turns opaque, about 3 minutes. Remove the lobster and allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove the meat and cut into bite sized pieces. Reserve the shells.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes; scrape the onions into a small bowl and set aside. Place the reserved lobster shells, garlic, peppercorns, and milk into the saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and stir until the mixture becomes a light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Strain the lobster and milk mixture through a sieve. Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture, bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and smooth, around 10 minutes.
- Stir the Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses into the thickened milk mixture until melted and smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the reserved lobster, onions, and pasta. Pour the pasta into a 4 quart casserole and smooth the top. Sprinkle evenly with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the sauce is bubbly, and the top is golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes.