Lost Power After Wiring a New Ceiling Light Fixture

This weekend I was working on installing a new flush mount overhead light on the main floor. When I removed the old light's canopy, the shallow electric box was held together mostly by electric tape. I decided that I had better invest the time in fixing it. I purchased a new metal ceiling box that was deeper so the armored wires could fit in comfortably. Then I took apart the connected wires and used the twist on wire caps instead. Well, now the entire upstairs is without power.

I've turned off the electricity in the house for safety until I can figure this out. What gives?

You wired incorrectly or a wire broke inside the box. The fact that it was held together by electrical tape may mean the wires were old and brittle. Unless you know what you are doing, hire an electrician

The wires are in very good condition. This indicates to me that the original work was a rush job that should be fixed. Please indicate which box you are speaking of. Is it the lower level electrical box or is this an issue that extends to an upper level electrical box?

I hope you got this resolved. Post back what you learned!

It sounds like you are quite handy, but in situations like you are experiencing, I always feel best suggesting to call in a pro because of the potential for serious issues or a fire. We have seen this first hand in our neighborhood DIY electrical issues going dangerously wrong and causing a house fire.

The challenge with crowd sourcing info (which on our beloved Thrifty Fun--this site--is spot on for things like finding recipes, valuing antiques, craft dilemmas, and general life advice) is that we are sharing info from our own experiences and (at least not that I know of) we don't have any trained electricians answering questions. Everyone has situations that are different--like I live in a very old house that, while now is up to code, at one point still had old knob and tube electrical hook ups.

Please post back what you learn from a pro! That way, if someone on this site has an issue similar to yours, they can look at the issue and the answer and maybe help explain better to the pro--which saves time and money in the long run--if they have a good way to explain what is wrong and the thought of what it may be. This is how we all win and learn from one another!

Blessings!