Machine Needles Keep Breaking

I have a Super Flairmatic 190B sewing machine. It has been working great then all of a sudden the needles keep breaking when I put it in reverse. I think the needles I have now are cheap, but it was doing it before I bought them. I have gone through over 30 needles in the past few weeks.

I have been told by the sewing center that it may be the timing, but I could fix it myself if I had a video that would show me. Would anyone on here have a video that shows how to set the timing on a front loading bobbin? I have done this before on an industrial machine, but can't find one for this machine. Please help I am cheap and don't want to spend the money to take it to a repair man. Thank you.

By pyduke

I do occasional vintage Singer repair and have invested the eye-watering sums in service manuals for those most often brought in. What I've learned is that no two models are alike - every one is timed differently depending on what stitches and features the machine has.

I understand (oh boy do I!) wanting to do this yourself but your machine is such a vintage model that the service manual for it is going to cost you a much higher price than the cost of the repair tech at the sewing centre would.

You can try this site for help - he may have a less expensive book, or possibly a free download - and he stocks a lot of new-milled parts for all kinds of vintage machines. If you're in the US, he's an invaluable resource! I'm in the UK or I'd be buying parts from him! Click on the link and scroll down - he does have things for Brother machines:

www.tandtrepair.com/