Sewing MachinesMachines

Machine Only Sews Straight Stitch

My Singer 6038 has suddenly stopped sewing any zigzag or interlocking stitches as it used to and only sews straight no matter what stitch I select on the dial. The needle no longer moves sideways while sewing to make zigzags, etc. It all happened in the time it took me to get up to make a cup of tea! Please help. Many thanks.

The machine could need a good cleaning. If you havent used the machine in some time the oil can turn to glue in the machine. Try cleaning the machine. Plus I have located a video for you to watch on YouTube that tells you how to repair this problem.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKodAhQduXk

Take the endcap off the machine as if you were going to change a lightbulb. Try switching stitches. If you see the levers are not moving put a drop of oil in those parts. That should solve the problem. Keep your machine oiled in the future.