Making a Magazine Swirl Necklace

Category Jewelry
This is a page about making a magazine swirl necklace. A fun way to recycle colorful magazine pages is to make a rolled bead necklace.

I love this craft because I love to recycle and I adore colourful jewelry! This necklace makes great use of pages in a magazine and a piece of chain. I used a broken necklace. You can glue your magazine swirls in any way you desire; no two are alike!

Total Time: 90 minutes

Yield: 1 necklace

• magazines with colourful pages
  • razor blade and/or scissors
  • glue
  • clothespin (optional)
  • 1 chain
  • 2 jump rings
  • hot glue gun with glue

1. With your razor or scissors (or you can tear) start removing colourful sheets from your magazines. I used about 24.
  2. Advertisement

3. Fold each sheet once vertically, then again. When you unfold, you will have four long folded strips. This will be your guide for cutting. (I put the sheets in stacks of four to hurry this process.)
  4. Use the folded guide and cut each sheet in half, then again. You will have four long strips for each sheet.
  5. Fold each strip in half then put glue one side. Fold over and secure. Repeat the process (with glue) so your strip is now a quarter of the width of the original strip.
  6. Advertisement

7. Start rolling strips tightly (the tighter, the prettier). Every few turns, put a little bit of glue down to secure the spiral.
  8. To make the bigger spirals, add a bit of glue on the first finished spiral, then attach another strip to it, the start rolling tightly, gluing as you go. I did spirals of one strip, two strips, and three strips.
  9. If your spiral wants to unwind, use an old clothespin to keep it closed. You can also use a rubber band wound around it a few times. (Or just use your fingers!)
  10. Advertisement

11. When you have enough spirals for your necklace, lay them out in the design of your choice and warm up your glue gun.
  12. Apply a dab of hot glue to the side of a spiral and attach another spiral. Squeeze and repeat. Hot glue dries fast so this will go quickly.
  13. To make the pendant holding rings, take a small strip of magazine and roll it into a small tube. Like the other pieces, dab glue as you go. I used a toothpick to make sure its tight and straight.
  14. Advertisement

15. Cut in half so you have two. Now roll each strip into a tiny circle to form a ring. You can use a screwdriver to assist. Glue the ends closed.
  16. Take the two mini rings and hot glue them at the sides of your swirl pendant.
  17. Put your jump rings through the ends of your necklace chain then through your mini magazine rings. Enjoy!

Crafts JewelrySeptember 29, 2016
🐛
🌻
😎
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Magazine-Swirl-Necklace.html