Making a Magazine Swirl Necklace

Category Jewelry
This is a guide about making a magazine swirl necklace. A fun way to recycle colorful magazine pages is to make a rolled bead necklace.

I love this craft because I love to recycle and I adore colourful jewelry! This necklace makes great use of pages in a magazine and a piece of chain. I used a broken necklace. You can glue your magazine swirls in any way you desire; no two are alike!

Total Time: 90 minutes

Yield: 1 necklace

• magazines with colourful pages
  • razor blade and/or scissors
  • glue
  • clothespin (optional)
  • 1 chain
  • 2 jump rings
  • hot glue gun with glue

1. With your razor or scissors (or you can tear) start removing colourful sheets from your magazines. I used about 24.
  2. Fold each sheet once vertically, then again. When you unfold, you will have four long folded strips. This will be your guide for cutting. (I put the sheets in stacks of four to hurry this process.)
  3. Use the folded guide and cut each sheet in half, then again. You will have four long strips for each sheet.
  4. Ad

5. Fold each strip in half then put glue one side. Fold over and secure. Repeat the process (with glue) so your strip is now a quarter of the width of the original strip.
  6. Start rolling strips tightly (the tighter, the prettier). Every few turns, put a little bit of glue down to secure the spiral.
  7. Ad

8. To make the bigger spirals, add a bit of glue on the first finished spiral, then attach another strip to it, the start rolling tightly, gluing as you go. I did spirals of one strip, two strips, and three strips.
  9. If your spiral wants to unwind, use an old clothespin to keep it closed. You can also use a rubber band wound around it a few times. (Or just use your fingers!)
  10. Ad

11. When you have enough spirals for your necklace, lay them out in the design of your choice and warm up your glue gun.
  12. Apply a dab of hot glue to the side of a spiral and attach another spiral. Squeeze and repeat. Hot glue dries fast so this will go quickly.
  13. Ad

14. To make the pendant holding rings, take a small strip of magazine and roll it into a small tube. Like the other pieces, dab glue as you go. I used a toothpick to make sure its tight and straight.
  15. Cut in half so you have two. Now roll each strip into a tiny circle to form a ring. You can use a screwdriver to assist. Glue the ends closed.
  16. Take the two mini rings and hot glue them at the sides of your swirl pendant.
  17. Put your jump rings through the ends of your necklace chain then through your mini magazine rings. Enjoy!

Does this really stay together including the jump rings?

Totally. Never a problem :) Make sure to use hot glue for the main pendant.

Well, when you have a neck like Nefertiti, you can wear an old soldier's dog tags and get offers from the houses of Chanel, Dior, and Balmain.

Men aren't so fortunate when it comes to adorning their persons (unless maybe you frequent 42 Street at 3:00 in the morning).

I did have a nice collection of feathers. One for each day of the week for my stetson, my homburg, and my bowler. But that was in the 20s, my dear. The only place you can get away with wearing those chapeaus these days is on 42nd street at 3:00 in the morning.

In my memoirs box is a pink hat band for my old fedora. It went so well with my pink fish nets. Liberace, eat your heart out.

Those were the days.

That's funny, a girl in school used to call me Nefertiti when we were studying Egypt and she spotted a photo that resembled me.

I love a good feather collection, truly! I could make something special out of feathers.

Love to see your photo collection from the centuries, kind sir! ;)