Making Art With Sharpies

Sharpie markers are a natural choice for many art projects. This is a guide about making art with Sharpies.

Do you have a child or teen's birthday coming up? How about a church youth group? Here is something we did that youth of all ages enjoy. We bought a package of colored Sharpies.

On a recent shopping trip to Ikea with my daughter and her children we saw these beautiful black and white graphic pillows on sale for $5. The kids wanted to get one each to decorate with markers. I got one too, to share in the fun.

my finished pillow

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Could you use Sharpies to make murals on furniture or walls? How would you seal it so it would hold up to washing? I was wondering if you could use Sharpies to paint on a child's size table. I would need to be able to seal it with some kind of clear coat so it could be washed as needed. (Like tole painting with Sharpies)

By Tammie

Answers

I recently saw a post in a blog (somewhere), whereby the Blogger had created "Birch trees" in her hallway simply using black Sharpies. It took her a total of 6 Sharpies in thick and fine point. It was all free-hand.
The blog I saw, had done a copy of another Bloggers' hallway.

So I betcha' you'll find it in a Google search or check U-Tube. Great ideas there too. Just google Sharpie Birch trees or hallway birch trees (that sort of thing)

Sharpies are "perma" so I shouldn't think you'd need to seal it. BUT- should you want to, why not just use a clear varethane or some such paint.
If your nervous to free hand...light pencil it first - whatever your artwork choice is.

The best thing is to paint it all away with a good quality primer coat.

Large areas of color will be streaky with regular Sharpies. I your design has that, use Sharpie PAINT markers. If you don't have your Sharpies yet, you might consider doing the whole thing with the paint ones. I know you can buy them at Michael's. As far as sealing your work, I recommend it in case you use a cleaner that will harm it. Use a polyurethane or varnish spray and give it a couple of coats. Hope that works for you.