Making Baked Egg Tomato Cups
With tomatoes in abundance in my garden (Lemon Boy here) I am looking for ways to prepare them. This is perfect for a hot day. You can prepare as many or as few as you want. The recipe is for one tomato.
Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Cook Time: 27 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
Yield: 1 tomato
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp approximately olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cheese, shredded
- 1/8 tsp basil, or thyme, dried (leaves)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish if desired
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with tinfoil lightly coated in cooking spray. Set aside.
- Slice the top off your tomatoes, on the stem side.
- Use a small spoon to scrape out the core, seeds and pulp. Arrange on your prepared baking sheet.
- Put oil all over the inside and outside of each tomato, and season with salt and pepper, basil or thyme and garlic powder.
- Bake tomatoes for 15 minutes. Sprinkle half the cheese on the bottom of the tomato.
- Crack an egg and gently slide it into each tomato.
- Sprinkle more salt and pepper and the rest of the cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake until eggs are set, 8 to 11 more minutes. Garnish with the scallions, if desired. Serve immediately.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
You can additionally top each tomato with a sprinkling of grated or finely shredded cheese before baking. Yum!Read More...
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.