Making Homemade Lemon-Pepper Seasoning

This is a page about making homemade lemon-pepper seasoning. Combining your own choice of herbs and spices can save you money and give you the flavor you desire.

This also makes an interesting seasoning if used with lime zest. Maybe try with orange zest next time (orange should be great with duck).

Directions:

Remove the zest from the lemon carefully using a vegetable peeler or a zesting tool. Remove only the yellow part and none of the white pith. Mince the zest and place it in a small, bowl.

Place the peppercorns on a cutting board and crack them by pressing on them with the clean bottom of a heavy pot. (or whirl very briefly in a spice grinder - you want large coarse chunks. Add the cracked pepper to the zest.

This is the most important step! Using a wooden spoon or other sturdy tool (a mortar and pestle works well), mash the pepper and zest together. This helps release the citrus oils in the zest and combine them with the pepper.

Spread the zest and pepper on a foil-lined baking tray and place in oven and leave overnight.

Gas oven: the pilot light will keep the oven warm enough for the drying process.

Electric oven: set it to 200 degrees F.

The next day you can either mince the mixture by hand with a knife or whirl in a spice grinder or in a clean coffee grinder. Store in an airtight container.

By CJ

I am on a salt restricted diet for my heart. I noticed recently the my jar says lemon pepper seasoning salt. Is there a lemon pepper without salt, or a recipe so I can make my own. I can sure use your help here.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

Answers

Best Answer

You can make your own lemon pepper quite easily. Using a micro-planer, zest one or two lemons, taking off just the yellow part and leaving behind the white pith. You can grind your pepper directly on to the fresh zest and then set the pan aside to dry.

I have a gas oven and just slide the pan in there (without the heat on) and it's dry in less than a day. When everything is bone dry, you can grind it in a pestle (I use my magic bullet). It has a wonderful smell and is so fresh.

Best Answer

McCormick seasoning has a salt free lemon pepper. I use it all the time

How do we dry our lemon pepper?

By Don

Answers

Best Answer

I have seen it recommended to dry it in a warm oven (200 degrees F) for an hour or so, until dry. If you don't have the lemon zest entirely dry, it could mold.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesNovember 9, 2016
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-29 13:59:40 in 4 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️