Making Homemade Muffins

Category Muffins
Having your muffin batter ready can make baking muffins for breakfast a snap. This guide is about making homemade muffins.

Easy and good for you!

Directions:

Set your oven to 350 degrees F and grease your muffin tins well, set aside.

Mix together the flour and wheat germ (or flax) and make a hole in the middle, for the wet ingredients to go.

Mix together the eggs, melted butter, sugar, banana, vanilla, nuts, and raisins and pour into the center of the dry ingredients. Stir just until blended.

Spoon into muffin cups. You can fill almost to the top as these muffins don't rise much. Bake approximately 20-30 minutes, or until browned. Cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes and then enjoy plain or with a little butter.

These freeze very well and are great to have on hand for a quick breakfast. I buy bananas that are very ripe and freeze them for these muffins. They can be thawed for 1 minute in the microwave and work great.

Servings: 16 muffins
Time: 10 Minutes Preparation Time
20-30 Minutes Cooking Time

By CDC from FL

These muffins are quick to make and have a sweet surprise in the center. Mix them up in one bowl.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20-25 minutes

Total Time: 30-35 minutes

Yield: 12

Source: Dining on a Dime Cookbook

• 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
  • 1/4 cup sugar (I substituted half the amount of stevia)
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 12 tsp jam (I used half of that)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Mix ingredients together. The batter will be lumpy.
  3. Spoon into greased muffin cups 1/4 full.
  4. Add 1 tsp. jam on top of the batter for each muffin.
  5. Ad

6. Top with more batter so each muffin cup is 2/3 full.
  7. Bake 20-25 minutes.
  8. Ad

9. Remove from cups and cool on wire racks.

My grandchildren and my husband love muffins for breakfast and as snacks. Sometimes mornings are very hectic at our house, so I have started premixing my muffins in the evening. I put all my dry ingredients in a large bowl and cover with saran. I then put all the wet and moist ingredients in a separate bowl or in my blender jar and put that in the refrigerator. The last thing I do is pregrease the muffin tins. I also double any recipe for muffins, so I can freeze part of them or give some to a friend or neighbor. In the morning, it is a simple matter to combine the wet and dry ingredients and measure into muffin tins, bake and enjoy. Take your muffin tins and put in the kitchen sink in warm soapy water, let them soak for easy clean up.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Find a good basic muffin recipe and play with it. Experiment with different kinds of flour or combinations of flour. Use different nuts, fruits, coconut, spices, etc. Freeze the baked muffins and warm one a day in the microwave for breakfast.

My current muffin is a combination of whole wheat and soy flour, pecans, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, canola oil, coconut, Splenda, brown sugar, vanilla yogurt, blueberry applesauce, eggs, skim milk, and skim milk. They are delicious and cheaper than Vitamuffins, although I do love Vitamuffins.

By Susannl from St. Cloud, FL

For high rising, rounded tops on muffins like you see in the bakeries, preheat your oven to 500 degrees F. As soon as you put the muffins into the oven, decrease the temperature to whatever the recipe calls for. Remember to decrease the baking time.

Why do my bran muffins stick to the paper?

By Christina

Answers

The bran itself is a sticky material when added to water in a dough. It maintains this stickiness even after baking. If you want a less stickie muffin, try recipes with less bran or without bran. You can also just use a spray oil like Pam to spray the muffin cups and avoid the paper altogether. There may still be some sticking to the metal but no paper problem.

How can I keep muffins warm without an oven for about 30 minutes?

By SS

Answers

Wrap them really well with aluminum foil. Do you have a microwave? They can easily be reheated in that, but don't over warm or they'll get tough.