Making Melted Bead Suncatchers
You can make these suncatchers in numerous sizes and the color options are endless.
Total Time: 45 min.
- plastic pony beads
- round metal cake pan
- fishing line
NOTE: I chose to buy a cake pan at the thrift store, instead of using one that I cook with. Just to be on the safe side.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the beads in the pan. Turn the beads on end in tight spaces, they will melt just fine on their sides. The less gaps you have, the less likely you will have holes in your suncatcher.
- Once you have your pan filled with beads, bake it in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until all of the beads have melted and there are no gaps or holes. The longer you heat them, the smoother it will melt into the shape. NOTE: I highly recommend opening windows and turning on the hood fan, as there are some fumes when these are baking.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set it on a cooling rack. After a couple of minutes you will begin to hear popping noises as the plastic cools and separates from the pan.
- Once it is cool to the touch, flip the pan over and remove the suncatcher.
- Use a small drill bit and make a hole to thread fishing line through. Hang them up and enjoy!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.