Homemade Suncatcher Ideas

With purse handles, embroidery hoops, or wreath rings, and some beads you can make this light and easy sun catcher.

You don't need any tools or other things to make it complicated. Just string any beads you like. Right now you can get some cute red, white, and blue Mardi Gras beads at the Dollar Tree, 3/1.00. For an extra bit of sparkle, use old gemstones at the center of the beads and really catch that sun!

As you can see, I took off my upper curtain and added some little hanging things instead. It really brightened up the room, and I even get compliments from my neighbors!

N-JOY!!

Total Time: 10 Minutes

Yield: 1

• 1 purse ring, embroidery hoop, or wreath form. ($0.00)
  • 5-8 faux pearls, beads, or necklaces of your choice ($0.00)
  • 2 shower curtain rings ($0.00)

1. I just strung the strands onto themselves, lengths of faux pearls onto a purse handle. I used two simple shower curtain rings to hang it with, and voila!!
  2. The longest strand I centered around the top and let it dangle.

13 More Solutions

Paint the stem of glasses with a colored glossy transparent paint. Let dry. Fill 3/4 of glasses with water. Drop desired amount of food coloring into water. Stir. Set on window sill. These reflect all around the room.

I have a craft idea but thought I would run it by you all to see if maybe someone else had already tried it. I do beadwork but keep my broken beads, just in case. I was thinking today that if I put a 1/4" of glue in a clear Pringles lid and let it get tacky, then I could put the broken pieces on the glue. When it dries clear, punch a hole through and hang it like a suncatcher.

Does this sound feasible to anyone or am I jumping out into left field? Any imput would be appreciated.

Tonya from Tyler, Texas

Answers

Hi Tonya,
I don't know if a pringles lid would be clear enough to catch the sun the way you mentioned. Unless I misunderstand and you intend to remove the lid after the glue is dried. But I'm thinking polyurithane as a clear, more permenant coat to hold it all together. Maybe a pane of glass from a picture frame, or decorate the frame as well. I'm just guessing here, I like the idea, and want to know how it turns out please.
Tina from Lufkin

Tina - Actually the lids on Pringles now are totally clear. Yes, I was thinking of popping it out of the lid. I am concerned about it being sticky being made out of glue. Actually I was thinking about those garden stones that they make out of plaster of paris. I was just thinking of a smaller version.

I actually haven't done this yet. I was just throwing it out there to get some feedback. I guess I do it with the Pringle lid and plaster of paris, huh?

I wish I could post pictures but I don't have a camera. I am looking at getting a digital camera but that is another whole deal, right? LOL

Thanks for your suggestion on the polyurethane.
Tonya

By (Guest Post)

How about spreading beads and small items in pringles lid in the cover with resin. I was so afraid of using it but it works great just let harden on flat surface. maybe after it hardens you could use small drill to make hole for hanging. Might make neat teachers gifts. Good luck!-Lisa

By Rosa (Guest Post)

I don't work with beads , but sounds like a great idea to me, only way tofind out is to do it ! would make great xmas gifts I would think, I know Iwould like one . :-)

By tambo (Guest Post)

I'd punch a hole first and put something - straw, toothpick, whatever matches the hole size - through it before I glued the beads. Also make sure you role the edges through glue and then beads to make the effect thorough.

By TonyaG (Guest Post)

Lisa - I have never used resin before. Can you, or anyone else here, tell me how it works? Thanks for all the great feedbacks from everyone.

Tonya

By Amy (Guest Post)

Our kids have made those. They handed them out for Christmas presents a few years ago, and people loved them! We didn't use beads, but did use glitter, which added extra sparkle. Make sure to let the glue dry thoroughly.
Good luck!
Amy

By Dawn (Guest Post)

What a great idea!!I am going to try this as soon as i can get my hands on some pringles lids..And maybe small lids from other containers .Good idea!!Thank you for something useful to do during those long winter days when there is nothing else to do.""

I have done a similar project with my grandkids. We used a flexible plastic lid and lined it with clear glue, then laid glass beads on top. We filled the lid the rest of the way to the top with more glue. It takes about 4 or 5 days to completely dry and pops easily out of the lid. Since you are popping it out of the lid, the color of the lid does not matter. It makes a very cute suncatcher.

Answer this Question

This is a page about making a CD sun catcher. By decorating a CD you no longer want you can make a unique suncatcher.

Making a CD Sun Catcher

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

This is a page about making a plastic bottle bottom sun catcher. The bottom of many plastic drink bottles can be used as part of a kids' craft to make sun catchers.

Making a Plastic Bottle Bottom Sun Catcher

This is a page about melted bead suncatchers. A creative project you can especially enjoy when the sun shines, is a glass or plastic bead suncatcher.

Making Melted Bead Suncatchers

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about making paper plate suncatchers. A delightful craft to try with your children is to make some beautiful paper plate suncatchers.

Making Paper Plate Suncatchers

It is great to be inspired to make a craft based on the shape of a bit of recycled packaging. These butterfly suncatchers are a good example. Learn how to make them below.

Butterfly Suncatcher Using Unique Lids - hang from ribbon

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Get out your tube of E6000 glue, decorative cord, some small embellishments, and beads. Using these supplies, learn how to make a variety of suncatcher pendants.

Sun Catcher Pendant - in process

Use clear contact paper and bits of tissue or crepe paper to make a shamrock window decoration for St. Patrick's Day or any time. This is a page about making a contact paper shamrock suncatcher.

A completed photo of a shamrock suncatcher made from clear contact paper.

Easter themed suncatchers are as fun to make as they are to display for the holiday. This is a page about making Easter suncatchers.

two carrots and an egg sun catcher

Load More
Crafts Home DecorJuly 12, 2014
👒
🐛
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Sun-Catcher-Ideas.html