Making Mother's Day Cookies

Category Cookies
A sweet gift for mom on her special day is a plate of homemade cookies. The kids can help or make this gift themselves. This is a guide about making Mother's Day cookies.

Lot's of mothers love cookies rather than candy. I know that one of the sweetest gifts I ever received from my kids was a plate of cookies. They baked them for me and put them on a pretty plate that had flowers all around the rim. My mom had taken them to the thrift store and got the pretty plate and a lace doily. I love chocolate so they sprinkled the plate with Hershey's kisses. It was an antique that someone had only three of so the price was great, since there was not a set of them. You could also look for a small glass tray or a silver plated one.

The cookies were simple sugar cookies cut out in flower shapes and a couple of hearts with my kids names on them. Everyone has a sugar cookie recipe but if you are baking impaired, you could just go to the supermarket and buy cookie dough. Flower shaped cookie cutters can be bought at the dollar store. You could also cover the plate with her favorite store bought cookies.

My kids decorated the cookies with colored sugars and decorator gel for their names. We make our own colored sugars which is pretty simple and they can be stored. It is as simple as sugar and food coloring. Some of the companies that make food coloring have even made neon colors and combine these with the normal colors you can make some really pretty shades of sugar. Find some small jars or plastic bags and but some sugar in and then some food coloring and stir or squish in the bag until well mixed. Now here is my mom's favorite Sugar Cookie recipe:

Mix shortening, sugar, eggs and flavoring thoroughly. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt together and then blend into shortening mixture. Chill at least 1 hour until firm and cold. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll dough out to 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick and cut out with cookie cutters. Sprinkle with the color sugar and then bake until golden brown. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

Editor's Note: Here is a link to Debra's article with recipes for flavored sugars.

What a nice idea!