Making Mother's Day Bath Salts

Category Bath
A container of homemade bath salts is an easy project for an older child to make as a gift for their mom. This is a guide about making Mother's Day bath salts.

Show Mom how much you appreciate her by giving her some homemade bath salt for Mother's Day.

Approximate Time: Less than 1 hour

Instructions:

Stir together salt, soda, and oil in a small bowl. Add some food coloring and mix well. (Make several different colors and layer them in a bottle, if desired.) Use a funnel to pour the salt into a clear decorative bottle.

Create a gift card using card stock decorated with a flower. Attach it to the bottle with ribbon with the following instructions: Pour 2 or 3 tablespoons into running bath water to make skin feel smooth and soft.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Here's an inexpensive gift for Mother's Day that any kid can make for their mom.

All you need is:

Directions:

1. I measured the fabric by taking a bowl and turning it upside down on the fabric. Then trace the outline of the bowl. Make sure the bowl is bigger around than the peanut butter jar lid.
  2. Cut the fabric out with pinking shears. I used the pinking shears so the fabric wouldn't fray and it gives it a pretty edge.
  3. Then hot glue the fabric to the lid of your jar. I used flowered fabric and centered one big flower on top of the lid. Start on the top of the lid and then hot glue the sides making pleats. Tie a piece of ribbon around the lid and curl the ends with scissors.
  4. Cut out the card stock so you can cover where the label of the jar went. It doesn't need to be a big piece of paper. I just kept folding the paper in half then half again and folding it in half again, etc. You end up with small pieces of card stock all the same size.

Only do this if you are making a lot. I made 20. They are about the size of a business card. Hot glue the paper on the outside of the peanut butter jar. I wrote "Happy Mother's Day" with a marker but you can write anything.
  5. Then color the Epsom salts with food coloring. I colored 20 pounds of salt 5 pounds at a time all different colors and I even left some not colored. Don't use too much food coloring because you don't want mom to end up rainbow colored after she takes a bath in this stuff! I used about 12 to 15 drops in 5 pounds.
  6. Then fill your jar layering all the colors. You could also add essential oils or perfume to your salt.

I made the jars for the kids at church to fill with the salts for Mother's Day this year.

Each jar holds about 2 cups which is about a pound of Epsom salts. So if you're going to make this for a lot of kids you need roughly about a pound per child. I bought the Epsom salts at a local feed store: 50 pounds for $17.90.

By luv2craft from Normalville, PA