Making Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes
July 31, 2018
This is a fun twist on pancakes. They are so decadent, they can be served for dessert. Caramelizing the pineapples not only gives them a nice rich flavour, but also creates a sticky toffee in the pan that you can use as a drizzle in place of syrup. When you cut into a stack of these, the little Maraschino cherries pop out onto the plate. What a lovely surprise!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 large stack (2 servings)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 pineapple slices
- 2 cups prepared pancake batter*
- 3 Maraschino cherries
*I used 1 cup of gluten-free pancake mix and adjusted the box directions to make the batter (I used 1 cup milk, 1 Tbsp oil, and 1 egg). You can use any pancake batter you prefer.
- In a large pan over medium heat, mix together butter and brown sugar.
- Add the pineapple slices. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. The toffee sauce will thicken as you prepare pancakes.
- Pour some pancake batter onto a greased griddle over medium-high heat.
- Place a pineapple ring in the center and gentle press down on it.
- Drop a cherry in the middle.
- When the pancake is covered in little air bubbles, carefully flip it over and cook until golden brown and fully cooked. Continue making the rest of the pancakes.
- The toffee sauce should now be thick. Drizzle over pancakes and serve.
- Watch the cherries jump out when you get to the middle. So cute!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.