Making Rustic Apple Plum Cake

Category Fruit
When you have an a lot of fresh fruit this rustic apple plum cake is a great way to use it. The fruit is placed on top of a old German cake recipe.

I usually make a similar cake with apples and cinnamon, but I was gifted a huge box of organic apples and plums recently. I could not resist tweaking my recipe to include both fruits, and trying nutmeg instead of cinnamon. This fun experiment made such an amazing cake, I just have to share the recipe with you!

In my recipe, I use 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of applesauce. You can play with these a bit if you want it more or less buttery, just make sure they equal 8 tablespoons total. :)

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 9 servings

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 Tbsp softened butter
  • 4 Tbsp applesauce
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 3 tart apples
  • 3 plums
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan (or equivalent) and line with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  2. Advertisement

3. In another bowl, cream together the butter and applesauce.
  4. Stir in the sugar with butter and applesauce. Mix well.
  5. Stir in the eggs and vanilla until well incorporated.
  6. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Spread this batter evenly into the prepared pan.
  7. Advertisement

8. Add juice of half a lemon into a bowl.
  9. Core the apples and pit the plums. Cut them into 1/8" to 1/4" slices. Toss in bowl with lemon juice. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of sugar.
  10. Grate nutmeg onto the apples and plums. Mix well.
  11. Arrange the apple and plum slices on top of the batter in overlapping rows.
  12. Advertisement

13. Make sure every bit of the batter is covered, pressing the fruit gently into it.
  14. Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.
  15. The pieces of fruit will have sunk ever so slightly, its juices lending to the moistness of the cake. Enjoy!

Wow Attosa!

This Rustic Apple Plum Cake, (first I have to say, even the name is incredible)..

but to see this incredible "master piece" which it is, oh wow, this is like off the charts, seriously it's beautiful and delicious sounding, and thank you for this recipe. :)

You are ever so welcome! This came from a super old German cake recipe (the one that I make that uses just apple and cinnamon) and it always makes me think "rustic," so I had to label this as such! I hope you give it a try. It's super easy and pays off :D

This makes and amazing cake that is very good and beautiful. This also uses a lot of fruit when I have a lot that needs to be used. Thanks for this wonderful bake.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes FruitJanuary 12, 2020
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-13 06:05:59 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️