Making Rustic Apple Plum Cake
When you have an a lot of fresh fruit this rustic apple plum cake is a great way to use it. The fruit is placed on top of a old German cake recipe.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I usually make a similar cake with apples and cinnamon, but I was gifted a huge box of organic apples and plums recently. I could not resist tweaking my recipe to include both fruits, and trying nutmeg instead of cinnamon. This fun experiment made such an amazing cake, I just have to share the recipe with you!
In my recipe, I use 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of applesauce. You can play with these a bit if you want it more or less buttery, just make sure they equal 8 tablespoons total. :)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 9 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp softened butter
- 4 Tbsp applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 tart apples
- 3 plums
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan (or equivalent) and line with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and applesauce.
- Stir in the sugar with butter and applesauce. Mix well.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Spread this batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Add juice of half a lemon into a bowl.
- Core the apples and pit the plums. Cut them into 1/8" to 1/4" slices. Toss in bowl with lemon juice. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Grate nutmeg onto the apples and plums. Mix well.
- Arrange the apple and plum slices on top of the batter in overlapping rows.
- Make sure every bit of the batter is covered, pressing the fruit gently into it.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.
- The pieces of fruit will have sunk ever so slightly, its juices lending to the moistness of the cake. Enjoy!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.