Making Soymilk

Category Beverages
A high protein beverage that can be made at home by soaking dry soy beans, grinding them with water, and straining the liquid for milk. This guide is about making soymilk.

We make our own soy milk with a Soyquick machine I purchased at the Salvation Army. Soybeans can be purchased cheaply in the bulk goods section of Chamberlain's Natural Foods. I add two tablespoons of oatmeal to the beans to make the milk creamier.

While the milk is still hot, I had 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 Tbsp. Splenda, and 1 tsp. vanilla. We bought glass pitchers to store the milk in and we go through about a gallon per week, so I run the machine through two cycles per week.

After making the milk, I am left with the bean pulp which is full of protein. Since it is the same consistency as cream of wheat, mash potatoes, or refried beans, but has little flavor- I use it for those kinds of recipes. I add brown sugar and eat it as a hot cereal, garlic salt or gravy for potatoes, etc. It can also be used to thicken soups.

If anyone has any other recipes or ideas for the pulp, I would like to hear them! I don't like to waste it because of its nutritional value.

By SUSANNL

We have vegetarians in our family and found they did not like alternate milks, except soy. Soy milk is expensive, so I decided to make my own. Dried soy beans are cheap.

There are a lot of directions online, but they are confusing, and most instruct you to hull the beans, which is a complicated process. The other time-consuming process is the boiling, which has to be watched carefully. Instructions recommend anywhere from 20 minutes to 10 hours. Freezing the beans somehow makes the hull removal easy and using the crockpot has made the slow simmer easy to control. It gives me perfect soy milk each time.

Total Time: 10 minutes active; 24 hours total.

Yield: Three cups

• 1 cup dried soybeans
  • 3 cups water

1. Soak soybeans overnight in plenty of water.
  2. Discard water, pack into containers and freeze in one-cup (or as much as you want to make at one time) containers.
  3. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
  4. Cool with cold water. As soybeans cool, rub them with your fingers to dislodge hulls. Let the running water float them out of the bowl. Just remove what comes off easily.
  5. Ad

6. Drain soybeans and place in blender with 3x the volume of water as soybeans. (They will have swollen). Blend until you have a thick slurry.
  7. Place in crockpot on low and leave overnight or at least 8 hours.
  8. Strain through cheesecloth or muslin into glass jars. Add whatever sweetener you like, or a dash of salt if you want. Keep in refrigerator for a week.

Hello, we just found out that the majority of our family members have a dairy allergy. I am looking for coupons, offers, information and any suggestions conserning soy or rice milk products. Also, has anyone tried making soy milk? Any success? This is a bit overwhelming on our income, so I thank you very much for your time.

Karaof4 from Minnesota.

Answers

Here's a downloadable coupon for soy milk. I am not familar with this brand and haven't tried the coupon but it looks valid. The expiration is February 2005. It's in PDF format.

http://69.20.65 … king/coupons.pdf

I'm not a huge fan of soy milk myself (too much gas!). Almond milk is good, though! Also, look into goat milk and see if your family can tolerate that. It's oftentimes a better alternative to cow's milk and much easier for humans to process. Plus, if you live in a goat area, it's cheaper than other milk alternatives.

My boys don't like cows milk, and I can't tolerate it. I buy a brand that boasts "extra vanilla flavor". It is in a purple carton. It is called "Silk". It has a great flavor (I think). My boys love it a drink it instead of milk. I do make sure that they they eat plenty of other dairy products for the calcium. A. from Mo.

Go to http://www.mambosprouts.com and sign up for their Mambo Sprouts mailer. Each month you will receive a packet of coupons for organic products -- including soy milks and rice milks.

I started drinking soy milk about a month ago and love it. I never have liked cow milk; therefore, I wouldn't get the benefits from it. I got the vanilla flavored soy milk and it tastes just like a vanilla milkshake. I don't see why you can't add chocolate syrup to it, tho, if you don't like the regular or vanilla taste.

Make your own homemade soymilk. It takes a little effort but the results are satisfying. For directions on making your own write: got2bcristi (at) yahoo (dot) com

Is this a true allergy to milk protein or an inability to digest milk sugar (lactose intolerance)?? Lactose intolerance is definitely the least expensive problem to have! If the problem is with digesting milk sugar (lactose), then lactase enzyme tablets or drops can be used to make the dairy product digestible.

I'm asking because a true allergy to milk is quite rare, but lactose intolerance is very common.

My son was allergic to milk for a while, and we tried all sorts of "alternative" milks. I would definitely try goat milk. It tastes the most like cow milk. You can even get evaporated goat milk for baking. Be forewarned, though, alternative milks don't behave like cow's milk in cooking and baking. If you would like more advice and some milk-free recipes, please e-mail me at calnorth (at) yahoo (dot) com. Good luck!

When soy milk is produced it is manufactured in such a way as to remove something toxic - I'm sorry I can't remember exactly what it is. So unless you get a home recipe that takes this into account you will end up with a very unhealthy product, although it may taste OK. I'm sorry I can't remember exactly what the problem was but a Google search on soy milk will give you the details.

Regards

Jo

It's easy to make soy milk. You will need a blender, a large sieve, large cheese cloth, and large pot. Soak the soy beans (buy from bulk bins for cheapest price) overnight. The beans will roughly double in volume, so use lots of water. Put the beans and soaking water in the blender and blend to a fine grain. This is your raw soybean milk. You will need to do this in batches, of course. Pour the blended raw milk through a large sieve lined with cheesecloth, squeezing out as much milk as possible. Cook this milk until it boils, and you will have soy milk. It will taste better than anything you buy in the stores. Boiling removes the toxins in the raw beans. Be very careful when you boil the milk because it boils over very easily (like cow's milk). Store-bought soy milk contains a lot of preservatives because soy products spoil very easily. Homemade soy milk has the advantage of being preservative free. I'm Chinese, so I know!

The best recipe for homemade soymilk is in the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook published by the Book Publishing Company.

While soy milk is reputed to have a great deal of nutrition, please remember that ALL food labels on every product in America states nutrition based on the RAW, WHOLE food. (I used to work for the USDA and no one in the public knows this.) Cooking and processing destroys much of the nutritive values of the raw food.

Soy milk has a great deal of protein but not as much as labels will state. It also has lots of B vitamins. There's no added viamin D so make sure you and your kids get a couple of minutes of sunshine a day. (Vitamin D is synthesized in the body.)

Your main concern now should be calcium. No one needs 4 glasses of milk a day for their calcium; it's a lie - sort of. The calcium in milk is so hard to absorb, the dairy council has suggested we "aim" for much more calcium than we need so we'll get enough.

Feed your kids salmon with bones (preferably not "pink" salmon - Alaskans throw that stuff to the dogs and won't eat it themselves), and leafy green vegies. There are many other calcium rich foods.

You can buy powdered soy milk, too, and prepare it like powdered milk. The nicest tasting one is "Better Than Milk." It's way too expensive in the package and you can get it bulk at health food stores. If they don't have it bulk, they can order a bag of powder for you.

I started drinking the silk milk about a month ago because the two percent kept causing me to get headaches and the whole milk was too fattening, I assume I was lactose intolerant as well as glucose intolerant, so far I've felt much better and my skin which was rough and bumpy has cleared up considerably, however it's causing sleeplessness, I'd only be able to sleep about three to four hours at a time, I wasn't sure what was causing it at first until I ran out and hadn't drank any for three days and was able to fall asleep and stay asleep, so I will have to eliminate that to.

I have been there myself. I don't digest most dairy foods well, and have tried assorted soy and goatmilk products.
One site you can try for recipes is SilkSoymilk.com -- they have oodles of free recipes, some gourmet, so you can learn to substitute soymilk for dairy.
If you are in a locality where you can raise your own dairy goat, that would be great. Read up on it because it can be great family fun.
I know what you mean about the money. But you can make a lot of your regular recipes without dairy milk, and not really miss it -- you will be able to taste the other ingredients more.

Hi, I want to know how to preserve soymilk for a period of time. I will like to go into large scale production of soymilk in my vicinity. Thanks.

Denola from Ketu, Lagos

Answers

According to Christian Nutritionists recently, NO one should be consuming (eating OR drinking) ANY soy
because it has been discovered that soy prevents the human body from absorbing vitamins/minerals and nutrients. Perhaps you could consider Almond products or Coconut products instead? They are proven to be VERY much in demand and VERY healthy. God bless and help you to make the right decision. : )