Making Vietnamese Crepes (Banh Xeo)
You can make your own Vietnamese crepe batter from scratch. Banh Xeo, a savory fried pancake that has a thin is typically filled with pork, shrimp, bean sprouts and eaten with vegetables and dipping sauce.
Prep Time: 20 minutes + fridge time
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 12 crepes
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 bundle scallions
- 2 small onions
- 1 cup can coconut milk
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 lb pork shoulder
- 4 cups water
- vegetable oil
- Dash of salt
- In a bowl add your dried ingredients: brown rice flour, cornstarch, turmeric, and a dash of salt.
- Add coconut milk, water, chopped scallions and whisk. Allow batter to chill in the fridge for 15-30 minutes minimum.
- Heat a little bit of vegetable oil on a pan. Cook sliced onions, some pork until cooked.
- Using a ladle spoon your batter and thinly coat the pan evenly. Add your shrimp in and cook until crispy golden.
- Typically vietnamese crepe is eaten like an omelet wrapped with fresh vegetables (mint, lettuce, cilantro, etc) and dipped with fish sauce. Fish sauce is made with 1 red thai chili paper, 1/4 cup fish sauce to 1 cup water, squeeze 1-2 lemon wedges and a couple tablespoons of sugar (depending on your liking). Optional: Can add minced garlic too.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.