Making Window Clings

Category Decorations

Window clings are a beautiful and easy decoration for your home or vehicle. This guide is about making window clings.

When I was little, we had a massive sliding glass door to the garden. One day, my mum's friend came over to visit and walked right into the glass door while trying to go outside. Ever since then, we've always put window clings up as a precaution. Now, I make them from scratch so they can look how I want! These stickies are non-toxic, made from white glue, dish soap, and food colouring. This is a fun craft for all ages.

Total Time: 30 minutes plus overnight dry time

• 2 Tbsp white glue
  • 2 drops dish soap
  • food colouring
  • plastic sheet protectors
  • cookie cutters
  • paintbrush
  • 1 bowl

1. Mix glue, dish soap, and food coloring together in a bowl.
  2. Place a cookie cutter onto the plastic sheet. Use the paintbrush to drop some of the glue mixture into the cookie cuter.
  3. Pull the glue around with the brush so you have an even layer. Make sure it's not too thick a layer or else it won't set properly.
  4. You can also freehand draw designs or make letters.
  5. Finish making all your designs on the plastic sheet. Allow to dry overnight.
  6. Tap them gently to make sure they are dry, then peel them off the plastic sheet.
  7. Stick on your windows and enjoy the view!

I would like to know how to make the paint that you made out of fabric glue and food coloring. I can't remember the third ingredient. I would like to do this project with my granddaughter. You put is on a page protector and then peeled it off when it dried. They stick to the window. Thank you.

By Julie

Answers

What a great idea I have been buying the stuff. I just googled it and among other sites found: Make-Stuff.com and am planning to try it. Get on Google I'm sure you'll find something. Thanks for the idea.

Sorry, I gave a site "make-stuff.com" to find ingredients for window cling. This site requires a monthly fee payment. I'm sure there are other sites for free. I'll try again.

Hi it's me again. There a loads of sites on Google all contain just glue and food color. Have a look. I do have a piece of advice: if sometimes the drawing is too thin it will tear coming off and of course the little ones get upset I just cut around the plastic and glue the item to the window.

Does anyone know how to make those window gel decorations that they sell in stores? I would love to make my own, using my cookie cutters. I know someone must know how to do this.

Thanks in advance!
JgS from NJ

Answers

I believe Hobby Lobby has information on these. Thats if one is in your area. Good Luck! Joe

By Pat (Guest Post)

I'm not sure I know what you mean but Gallery Glass colors are fun to work with, like stained glass. you simply make a pattern on just about anything, clear if you want, paint it and them create the outline from the leading paint. Really easy and fun, even the kids can do it.