Making a Hat With a Round Loom
I had some small balls of yarn that I needed to use up and so I made this small baby hat using up the scraps.
This is a fun craft for kids. Ten years and older could easily make these.
Total Time: 1 hour
- leftover yarn
- 1 round hat loom and hook (premieemie size used here)
- 1 scissors
- Wrap two rows of yarn around the pegs on the loom twice, beginning at the end where there is a protruding peg. Starting with the first stitch, use the hook to bring the first loop on the peg up and over the second loop. I like to do the first stitch to the left of the peg and then the yarn is held into place. Go all the way around the loom. Continue in this manner for ten rows to make the rim of the hat. If you run out of yarn, simply use a square knot to tie another color of yarn to the ending piece of yarn.
- After ten rows are completed, going into the inside of the hat, bring the loops of the first row up to the top of the peg. This makes a double thickness, and is the rim of the hat. Continue until all of the first row loops are brought up on the peg. Then, using the hook go around the loom again, making the stitches just like you have been doing. Once complete, continue with knitting more rows in the same manner as before. Ten to fifteen more rows should make a good size. I usually just guess what looks proportionately correct.
- For the last step, cut your yarn off, leaving about two feet of yarn at the end of your last row. Using this strand of yarn, wrap around each peg, pulling the strand through with each stitch. At the end of the row, all the stitches are off of the pegs. Pull yarn until the top of hat is formed. Knot securely. Tuck end of yarn into inside of hat and cut off excess yarn.
- These are fun to make for preemies at the hospital or newborns if you use a larger size hat loom.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.