Making a Hat on a Round Loom

Category Looms
Round Looms
Round looms are quite popular for the non traditional or inexperienced knitter. This is a guide about making a hat on a round loom.

I am trying to make the woven hat pattern from Knifty Knitter's "Learn New Stitches" book for circle looms. I am having trouble following the woven pattern. The yellow loom seems too big.

I have only used this one for making draw string bags to use as totes. Has anyone made this hat yet? Could someone put instructions on You Tube? I asked at Michael's for a video, but they didn't have anything. Thanks for weaving me out of my misery.

By Debra from Canada

Is there a forum for Knifty Knitter at the manufacturer's website, where you could ask? Beyond that, I'm sorry I can't be of much help, because I don't know how to use the Knifty Knitter. :-(

I have made many of these hats. I use two yarns at once. The yellow loom is big but when you are done with the hat and take it off the loom, it does seem to shrink a little. You mention you are having problems, but you don't say exactly what the problems are. I also think the yellow one is a bit big but not for a man, and I use the green one, next size down for a smaller size. I do not pull the yarn tight, ever. I bought a kit from Reader's Digest a few years back to learn how to make sweaters and such and the loom from that kit has more pegs and closer together and I use that one most of the time now and love it. You can also make one with a round picture frame and nails. Go on line and check out videos.

I'm having trouble too. The woven top is too loose.

Are there a video I can watch? I am having trouble following the instructions in New Stitches on Circle Looms.

By kaye

Did you possibly look on YouTube? Type in what you are looking for and it might show up for there are all types of video's for just about anything! Hope this helps

I made a designed hat (with snowflakes around it) on the green Knifty Knitter loom, which has 36 pegs, but it was too small. The bigger loom I have is yellow and has 41 pegs. Problem! 41 is a prime number, so I can't divide it out to make an evenly spaced pattern around my hat. Can I just skip a peg, or will that make my hat look funny? I mean, can I use 40 of the 41 pegs, since 40 is not a prime number?

Thanks!

By Jess