Making a No Sew T-shirt Tote
Remove the sleeves from an old t-shirt and make fringe ties at the bottom. You have made a no-sew tote. Make a lot, many states are beginning to pass legislation to discontinue the use of plastic bags.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
September 29, 2015
If you would like to make a tote bag with materials you already have and virtually no crafting skills, then look no further! This project is easy, fun, quick, and useful. On top of all that, when you use these stylish bags at the store instead of paper or plastic you are going green. Have fun, help the enviroment, rock on!
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 tote
Source: Pinterest inspired
- Your first cut will be a horizontal one so that you can remove the sleeve. Just a little snip.
- Now you will cut as close to the seam as you can and trim away the entire sleeve.
- Repeat with the other sleeve.
- Decide how long you would like your bottom strips to be. You may only want them a couple of inches, just enough to tie and give you more room in your bag. I decided on about 6 inches, I like the hippy/boho look and thought long would be good. :)
- It's also up to you how wide you want your strips. Mine ended up being about 1/2" wide. Now simply start cutting. A fabric pen would actually be great, that way you could mark the line you snip to. I didn't have one, and my cuts were a bit uneven when I was done. Fortunately, a very easy fix. Just lay yout shirt flat and even them up!
- You will need to grab the end strips and snip up the center of those.
- Now just take each corresponding top and bottom strip and tie in a simple knot twice.
- Repeat for the entire bottom.
- Nice handles and easy to use.
- You are all set!
- This would be a great project for kids too. If you have a party, tell all the girls to bring a well worn shirt and scissors. They will all have a fun craft to do and you didn't have to spend a dime!
October 1, 20150 found this helpful
Love it!!! Gonna try and make one tonight!