Making a Thimble Necklace

Category Jewelry
A pretty little thimble can be the beginning of a lovely necklace. This is a page about making a thimble necklace.

An old thimble becomes the flower pot and brightly-colored straight pins become the tiny flowers. This would be a great gift for someone who sews.

Approximate Time: 1 - 2 hours

Instructions:

1. First, push a dowel or stick into the thimble to keep it from flattening too much when you whack it. Although, it will lie on your neck w/o rolling from side to side if it's not completely round, so a little flattened is ok.

2. To make the hole, use a very pointy punch to make an initial dent in the thimble, close to the top rim. Place the thimble with stick on a leather glove, and hold the thimble and punch in place with one hand and the hammer in the other. Then, carefully tap the punch several times until you get a good indentation.

3. Once you get your little dent, go to a larger punch. I used 3 different sizes before I got the size hole I wanted. Just big enough to get a very thin ribbon or cord through.

4. Now that you have your hole, loop your ribbon through the hole. Or attach a jump ring and silver chain.

5. Set your thimble aside and pull lots of threads out of a green piece of fabric. Or if you prefer, you can use embroidery thread or whatever you like. Ball up the threads and push them down into the thimble until you fill it and have a little poking out the top. This is your grass.

6. Now arrange the pins into the threads in the thimble the way you want them. Use any number you like. I wanted a full bouquet so I used a lot.

7. Carefully take the pins and the threads out together and set aside.

8. With your glue gun, fill the thimble about 1/3 full with glue. Careful, it will get hot. Now replace your pins and threads before the glue has a chance to harden. Move your pins around until you have them the way you like.

9. You can use a separate pin to get the threads tucked in or pulled out to your desired effect.

Note: The original idea for this (Laura @ The Wind and the Sail blog) has us using a drill w/ small bit (1/8 inch), but I did not have any success getting the drill to go through my thimble. You can try it that way if you want to experiment a little.

Source: Laura @ The Wind and the Sail blog

By ~gloria from upstate, NY

Crafts JewelryJanuary 28, 2013
🐛
😎
📓
😷
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Thimble-Necklace.html