Making a VHS Tape Candy Bouquet
This is a guide about making a VHS tape candy bouquet
. A fun way to reuse old video cases to make a plastic vase for a candy bouquet gift.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I had a lot of VHS tapes laying around and decided that they would make a great vase for an 80's (and 90's) themed candy bouquet!
- 4 VHS tapes
- E6000 glue
- floral foam
- wooden skewers or dowels
- hot glue gun
- tissue paper
- various candies (see project for ideas)
- wire edged ribbon
- thin wire
- Glue the VHS tapes together as shown below. Apply glue to both edges that you are glueing together, allow glue to sit for 2 minutes before pressing the edges together. Once all 4 sides are glued in place, allow glue to dry for 24-72 hours.
- Insert floral foam into the "vase" and mark where to trim it so that it sits just below the top edge. Use a sharp knife to cut off the excess foam, then insert the foam into the vase to test fit it. Note: I chose to leave the wrapper on the foam to help contain the foam dust that seems to get on everything.
- Here are the candies I chose that best represented our childhood (80's and 90's):
- Hot Tamales
- Pop Rocks
- Laffy Taffy
- Attach the candies to the skewers using hot glue.
- If the candy has a flap on the back, I found that it was best to adhere the skewer under the flap, as shown below.
- For heavier candy, I attached 2 skewers for added strength.
- Lay out tissue paper and bring it up around the floral foam block, then reinsert it into the vase.
- Insert the candies into the foam, starting with the largest items at the back. Use smaller candies to fill in gaps.
- Create a bow using wire edged ribbon. Wrap a length of the ribbon around the vase, securing it with a piece of wire. Then attach the bow to it. Here are instructions if you need them: Making a Wire Edged Ribbon Bow
- Cut small squares of tissue and stuff them into open spots to hide the skewers. I chose a contrasting color. Enjoy!
September 12, 20161 found this helpful
This cute candy bouquet has a nostalgic feel. It uses old recycled VHS tapes to make the base. Learn how to make it in this short video.