Marigolds for Pest Control

Category Pest Control
Marigolds are often used as companion plants in gardens because of their reputation for deterring certain garden pests. This is a guide about marigolds for pest control.

Planting marigolds in your veggie garden can help repel pests. The smell from this flower in particular seems to mask the scent of the vegetables, keeping pests them from nibbling at your goods. This is a great, safe, natural way to keep your garden whole and organic.

Source: My wise gardener mother :)

Now that I have chickens, I am going to plant tons of marigolds all in the garden and around the house. Marigolds are one flower that make snakes wander elsewhere. This flower is going to be the star of my garden. Even though I said on a post last year on Thrifyfun how much I hated marigolds, things change. They are going to be plentiful this year in my garden and around the hen house. Chickens can look attractive to snakes. I see that the flowers take four months to begin getting enough of their stuff into the soil to deter pests.

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

Garden pests, especially aphids can't stand to be around marigolds, so I plant them around everything, especially carrots and strawberries. Marigolds spread so nicely on their own. When the marigolds are all dried up pull the seeds out of where the flower was and either plant them or put them in a plastic bag for next year.

By Ardis

To keep Mayflies from zooming around your head and biting you, put a couple of marigolds in your hat. They don't like the smell. They will circle your head and leave.

By Betty from NC

Marigold flowers have many effective natural pesticides that can be beneficial around your garden. This is a guide about using marigolds to control bugs on your tomato plants.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1