JapaneseInternational

Mashed Potato Sushi

Vote for this contest contender!

I have been making wasabi mashed potatoes for a long time now and it's definitely one of my favourite sides. I thought it would be cute (and yummy) to turn that mash into something super cute: mashed potato sushi. Making perfectly rolled sushi can be daunting getting the rice perfectly cooked so it sticks enough, but doesn't get mushy. Using mashed potatoes will make getting the shape right much easier... and you don't even need a rolling mat! These sushi rolls are super creamy and definitely hit the spot. I hope you try them!

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 1 large roll, 10 pieces

1. Peel the carrot and cucumber. Cut into long sticks.
  2. Boil the carrots until softened, a few minutes.
  3. Scramble the egg and cook over medium heat in a lightly greased pan until fully cooked, but still soft.
  4. Ad

5. Peel the potato and chop into small pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 3-5 minutes (depending on the power of your microwave). Mash until smooth.
  6. Mix in the wasabi, mayonnaise and sushi vinegar.
  7. Ad

8. Spread the mashed potatoes onto the nori sheet, leaving 1/2 an inch from the top clean.
  9. Starting from the edge closest to you, arrange the carrot, cucumber, crab and scrambled egg on the mashed potato.
  10. Ad

11. Place your thumbs under the edge closest to you and bring upwards, tightly rolling to the other side. Let it rest in the fridge for 10 minutes, then slice, top with sesame seeds, and serve.

You always have such interesting recipes and this one is no exception. Definitely one to try as I love wasabi and this sounds like a good way to enjoy it.

I've been missing you! I'm glad I reeled you in with this recipe! Let me know how it goes! :)

looks yummy.. i'll definitely have to try this!

Please do, Katrine! Let us know what you think! :)