Microwave Corn on the Cob

You will never boil sweet corn in a kettle of water again.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 to 8 minutes

Total Time: 15 to 20 minute

Yield: 1 or 2

1. Begin with ears of corn still in the husk. Cut the bottom end off, and rinse with cold water let drain. Do not peel back the husk.
  2. Place one or two ears in the microwave. Set the microwave for 5-8 minutes. If you are using 2 ears add another 3 minutes or so to the timer. You can always change the amount of time, if you like your corn cooked more.
  3. Ad

4. Use towel, mitts or potholders to remove the hot ears from the microwave and pull the husks off starting on the top end. The corn silk will come off clean and easily. Cut the husk off at the bottom of the ear. If you need more corn, just wrap the finished hot corn, still in the husk, in a towel while you cook more.
  5. Once the husk is removed place in a holder or on a plate and add butter and salt. You will never boil sweet corn in a kettle of water again.
  6. Ad

Anonymous

I use a slightly different way. Before putting the corn into the microwave I peel off about two layers of leaves and then I cut the stem end just above the shoulders. I microwave three cobs for 15 minutes. I take them out and pick them up at the silk end and they pop right out sans leaves and silk. You never have to touch the hot cobs. No mess, no fuss and the steam is controlled because it comes out the bottom and not at the top where your hands are. I use a pot holder to grip the silk and leaves because they are hot!

But isn't it all about taste? I fry my cabbage. I don't like it boiled because it soaks up water and tastes 'watery'. I never thought about microwaving corn on the cob but it's got to retain more flavor than when boiling in water. I will try this! Thanks, Harlean.

You are absolutely right about the flavor.

I Bar-b-que my corn. Peel and rub with butter. Wrap in aluminium foil and heat for about 20 min on a med grill rotate a little every 5 min. Already buttered just garnish with salt and pepper. Yum.