Cooking Sweet Corn

Now that sweet corn is in season, a frugal way to prepare it and save time and water is to make it in your microwave. Use a gallon size freezer bag and place the peeled and cleaned ears of corn inside. Six will fit easily. Add about a half cup of water. Seal the bag three fourths closed. Microwave on high 8-10 minutes.

It comes out perfect every time! You can wash out and reuse the bag also.

By Cindy S.

You don't even have to use a plastic bag. I microwave my ears right in the husks. My time is 5 minutes when you do one ear of corn. Multiple ears will take a little longer. When done take them out of microwave and let them cool a bit cause when you dehusk them ALL is very hot. I have learned to do this because a friend told me why waste time. Mine go right from refrigerator crisper into microwave.I like it that way. I don't use any butter or margarine.

Hi Cindy,if you take those same ears of corn with/out removing the husks and put in ur microwave

for say 20 min.you'll have the most delicious corn you've ever eaten.BUT please be carefull when taking the husks off, the steam builds up in them and WILL burn you if ur not careful!!!
ps: The silks come off so much better too!!

You guys are killing me! I want corn for dinner. Even better, green corn tamales. Yum.

I have been making UNSHUCKED "corn on the cob" in my microwave for 38 years. I'm still using my Kenmore 1967 microwave, 650 watts and it's still working perfectly (without all those buttons to push).

I agree with Greeneyes Mom that making unshucked corn on the cob in the microwave is the best way to do it. I want to add two important tips. Don't PEEK at the corn when you buy it (that would let the steam escape). . Put the UNSHUCKED corn in the microwave just the way you buy it. (Of course, FRESH CORN IS BEST). Microwave 3 minutes per ear! IMPORTANT: To prevent steam burns, shuck after it is cooked under running WARM water to prevent steam burns AND to wash the corn at the same time! As she said, the silks come off instantly!

The corn is so good cooked this way, I usually just use a little salt and freshly ground pepper on it. I skip the butter and the corn still tastes great.

Lee Drannan Smithson

I agree that microwaving them in the husk works really well.

I usually soak them for about 10 minutes in water, with the husks intact before microwaving them. It helps to steam them nicely. 3 minutes an ear sounds about right to me. Sometimes because of the length of them, I cut off the stem end a little so the ears can rotate in the microwave. Then take a towel or some oven mitts and take off the husks and silk. They come off much easier than when they are raw.

Susan from ThriftyFun

DO NOT USE PLASTIC WRAP/BAGS IN MICRO. Studies have proven plastic to be harmful long term. Leave in husks instead like previous posts suggested. Be careful of the steam.

If you are OK with microwaved corn, you are making this more difficult and expensive than it needs to be. Try this method instead to save time and money: http://www.yout … ch?v=YnBF6bv4Oe4
Almost 8 million views.