< Previous

Microwave Safety Tips

Several times, I used the microwave oven, only to have pitted "microwavable bowls," and the inside of the microwave, a food mess.

I discovered on my own, to use a smaller "heat" setting for a longer period of time.

Ad

If a product says "heat on high for 5 minutes," and I know it will splatter all over the microwave, and pit the microwaveable bowl, instead, I will reduce the "temperature," or setting to about 4% or 3% on my microwave, and increase the cooking time. At the end of cooking, if the food still needs cooking, I will give it a final 100% "blast" for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Of course, this depends on your microwave oven, and may be done with a 60%, 70%, or more "blast."

Over the years, I have bought "microwave safe plastics" only to have them get pitted and deformed by following the cooking instructions, and the pitting and deforming makes them harder to clean.

One day, my husband and I bought some of these microwaveable plastics at a Walmart store, and the cashier remarked that hers always got ruined, and what an expense. We were in a hurry, and I didn't answer, but later that day, I called the manager, and explained the lower heat settings on the microwave.

Ad

If my microwave is set at 50% (5) it will splatter, so I started using 40%, and 30%, and increasing the cooking times for splattering foods. I don't have it down to a science, but I have found that by reducing the power to 40% or 30%, and depending on the food, giving it a final short blast at a higher heat, stops my microwaveable plastics from getting those nasty pits in them, and also stops all of that unsightly mess, and time-consuming cleaning of the microwave, using more cleaning products.

I usually increase the cooking time by one minute or so, more if the food is refrigerated, it takes experimentation, and I do this by cooking in increments of several seconds at a time, like 10 or 20 seconds toward the end of heating, depending on what I'm heating up.

I hope I helped someone today.

By Carol Rodriguez from South Bend, IN

Ad

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

March 10, 20100 found this helpful

Do not use any plastic, plastic wrap, plastic containers, ect. in the microwave. The microwave breaks down the plastic composition in bowls, wraps, even the cute little "steam your veggies packages" now on the market. Plastic contains many nasty cancer causing chemicals like dehp. While i am not a chemist a good friend of mine works in the medical field designing iv tubing and other related items. We use plastic iv tubing in the USA which is banned in Europe. Plastic baby bottles which contain dehp have finally been removed, long after they knew there were problems. Some of these chemicals will stunt kid's growth, and cause reproductive issues!
I use corning ware type dishes, wax paper. Also don't stand near the microwave while it's on. I love my microwave, but use it safely too. Of course it's big $$$ money in all the wraps, and ready dishes to be nuked.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Ad

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
< Previous
Categories
Food and Recipes Food Tips Microwave CookingMarch 9, 2010
Pages
More
😎
Summer Ideas!
📓
Back to School Ideas!
🐛
Pest Control
🌻
Gardening
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/08/12 11:29:33 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!