Making Mini Cheesy Heart Calzones
Whether you make these for Valentine's Day, or any day these tasty mini calzones are sure to become a family favorite. This is a page about making mini cheesy heart calzones
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
These mini heart shaped calzones are perfect for a Valentine's day party. They are easy to make and would be fun to make with your kids.
- canned pizza dough (thin crust)
- sliced mozzarella or Provolone
- egg white
- marinara sauce
- heart shaped cookie cutters (medium and small)
- rolling pin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Unroll canned pizza dough onto lightly floured cutting board. Flour other side of dough too.
- Using the medium heart cookie cutter, cut out as many pairs of hearts as possible. Remove excess dough from around the hearts. Set the excess dough aside.
- Using the small heart cookie cutter, cut out enough cheese hearts to fill each pair of dough hearts.
- Lay a cheese heart onto a dough heart, moisten the edges of the dough heart, and lay another dough heart on top. Use a fork to crimp the dough hearts together.
- Place the calzones onto a greased cookie sheet (or pizza stone). Brush the top of each calzone with egg white.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove any cheese that leaked out.
- Serve hot with a side of marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
- Helpful Tip: You can use up the excess pizza dough and cheese by making a "scrap calzone". Simply knead the dough into a ball and roll it out with a rolling pin on a floured surface. Place the excess cheese onto the dough, covering one half. Fold the dough over and crimp the edges shut. Brush the top with egg white and bake until golden brown (approx. 15 minutes). You can add additional filling if you want.
Here is a cute lunch or dinner idea for your own little Valentines, heart shaped calzones. Learn how to make them in this short video.