Calzone Recipes

Category Calzones
These Italian half moon shaped baked pockets are often referred to as a sandwich pizza. This page contains calzone recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

I looked and looked for what to make for dinner tonight. Ahhhh, I had a bag of fresh pizza dough starting to explode, so I took that out to make calzones.

Total Time: About 20 minutes for Prep, and 25 minutes to cook

Yield: Depends if this is an appetizer or a meal. It has about 8-10 sli

Source: My Homemade Recipe

• pizza dough
  • vegetables: peppers, onion, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, or whatever you might need to use up
  • spices: basil, oregano, black pepper, Old Bay Seasoning
  • olive oil
  • cheese
  • 1 egg

This is a recipe made from leftovers so use whatever ingredients you might have on hand.

1. Put the dough on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap that was sprayed with oil. Push and pull it out to make Calzone.

I looked in the veggie bins, I used 1 green pepper, 1 small red pepper, a small onion, a small piece of celery, a handful of grape tomatoes and a few mushroom. I sliced everything up paper thin, and halved the tomatoes.
  2. I tossed them in a fry pan with a little olive oil and a few spices, basil, oregano, black pepper, a dash of Old Bay Seasoning. Stirring it up for about two minutes.
  3. Before putting it on the dough, I gave the dough a rub of olive oil and basil, Then I put about a 1/2 cup of fine shredded Mexican cheese down the middle of the dough.
  4. Using a slotted spoon, I poured the veggies on top of the cheese, Then I topped it off with another 1/2 cup of Mexican cheese.
  5. Ad

6. I rolled the dough gently toward me,pulling the plastic wrap, it helps keeping the dough rolling, tucking in the ends while I was rolling until it was closing. At the end you want it all sealed. And remove the plastic. I use olive oil on my fingers to seal the edges and wash down the dough.
  7. Last, I use 1 egg beaten, and do an egg wash for a very shiny golden brown finish. Cook for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F.

Using store bought pizza dough ball or a tube of crescent rolls, you can make a delish little appetizer for a party! Beautiful looking dish for a presentation, I think!

Total Time: under an hour

Yield: Can be a meal for a few people OR an appetizer for more!

• 1 fresh (or thawed) pizza dough ball or tube of crescent rolls ($2.00)
  • 6 oz pizza sauce (more if you want to have some for DIPPING afterward ($1.00)
  • 4 oz pepperoni or veggie pepperoni ($2.00)
  • 1 cup cut up mozzarella ($2.00)
  • 2 Tbsp butter ($.25)
  • Optional Ingredients
  • green pepper
  • onions
  • mushrooms
  • spices
  • Parmesan cheese

1. Just roll out the dough to about 6 X 12 inches and cut about a dozen angled slits down the two long sides of the dough (see photo for direction)
  2. Pour a stripe of canned pizza sauce down the center of the dough, then spread it out a bit toward the cuts (but not past them.)
  3. Add about 4 oz. of pepperoni and 1 cup of cut up mozzarella on top of the sauce in the center of the dough. I also added a few tablespoons of onions, diced mushroom and green peppers. If you have a favorite veggie you may add it or just make it cheese and pepperoni! I use veggie pepperoni.
  4. Lay one cut dough strip across the calzone, then cross it with it's opposing strip from the other side. It should look like a laced up shoe by the bottom! Use a little water on the tips to stick the dough to itself and to the other side and seal the ends up the same way with a little water. Brush with about 2 teaspoons of butter.
  5. Ad

6. Cook in a 350 degree F oven for about 40 minutes!
  7. You may add a sprinkle of Parmesan to the top during the last 10 minutes.
  8. Have warmed pizza sauce in a dish if you'd like to offer dipping sauce.
  9. Slice, serve and ENJOY!

It's so easy and quick. You can change it up a million ways. You will be putting your meats, veggies and cheese on the lengthwise. Roll your pizza crust out onto a jelly roll pan.

Let pie crusts stand at room temperature according to package directions. Meanwhile, for filling, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, chopped onion and chopped green pepper until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This baked Italian favorite is easy to make at home.

Whether you make these for Valentine's Day, or any day these tasty mini calzones are sure to become a family favorite. This is a guide about making mini cheesy heart calzones.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains rolled calzone recipes. A delicious main course or appetizer can be made with sauce, meat and cheese rolled up in pizza dough to be baked and cut into servings.

This page contains spinach calzone recipes. Calzones are an easy to make folded and baked Italian style sandwich. They can be stuffed with any of your favorite meats, vegetables, and cheese.

This page contains ham and cheese calzone recipes. These Italian half moon shaped baked pockets are often referred to as a sandwich pizza.

This page contains meatball calzone recipes. These Italian half moon shaped baked pockets are often referred to as a sandwich pizza.

This page contains chocolate calzone recipes. This is a perfect variation on the traditional Italian dessert, for the chocolate lover.