Rolled Calzone Recipes

Category Calzones
A delicious main course or appetizer can be made with sauce, meat and cheese rolled up in pizza dough to be baked and cut into servings. This page contains rolled calzone recipes.

Homemade calzones are always a family favorite in my house. Especially when I had teenagers. They are always eating on the run. These can be eaten hot, warm or cold...they certainly didn't care. It's food!

Total Time: 30 minutes prep 30 minutes cook time

Yield: About 12 slices out of one

Source: Homemade family recipe

• 2 Pizza dough
  • 1/2 lb provolone cheese
  • 1/2 lb salami, thin sliced
  • 1/2 lb boiled ham, thin sliced
  • 1/2 lb ham, thin sliced
  • 1/2 lb Mortadella, thin sliced
  • 2 lb large red ripe garden tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 tsp dill pickle relish
  • 2 tsp fresh basil
  • 1 tsp egg, beaten for an egg wash when this is ready to go into the oven. An egg wash gives it a golden shining crust.

1. Using a large rectangular cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, spray it with spray oil.
  2. Take out of the refrigerator dough about an hour before you are going to use it. Take it out of the plastic bag and place it on this greased pan. You will see it starting to rise.
  3. 2. Remove one of the dough and place it on a plate.
  4. Now work with the dough from the center of the pan out. Using both hands, Pressing the dough from the middle outward. Then pressing any thicker parts outward toward the corners until you are satisfied with the size of the rectangle you have. Sometimes it will try to bouce back to the middle shape and you have to keep pushing. This will stop as soon as you start placing meats and cheese on it.
  5. Ad

6. Start with the provolone cheese, filling from the corners and pressing down, only three across, three across the middle and three across the bottom row. Now you should have your rectangle with 3 rows of provolone covering the entire dough.
  7. Do the same with mortadella, then salami and ham.
  8. Ad

9. Now you are ready for the tomatoes, dill relish & basil. This only goes within about 3 inches in the center, not near the ends. just spread a line of it that's all. Not too much.
  10. 6. Now you are ready to roll. Go to the back of the dough. Get your fingers under the dough gently move the dough over itself and let it fall over. It will because it is heavy with meat. When you get that first inch over it gets easier. Then roll again. When you start the third time rolling, you have to take your fingers and fold in the ends like your tucking in a sheet. Then roll and tuck, until it is all rolled. When you are done, if there are any meats or cheese showing in the seam, push them back in and seal the dough with your fingers.
  11. Ad

12. Give this pan another spray of oil. You will place the calzone seam side down when cooking. Then mix your 1 egg and using your hand take a little bit of egg and rub it over the entire calzone. I usually take a paper towel and clean up any spilled egg.
  13. Cook at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
  14. Ad

I buy bakery made pizza dough. It comes out the same as if you made it yourself. It's a whole lot easier and the price is right! I always make 2 Calzones at a time because they freeze wonderfully.

An easy and hearty calzone recipe that could be adapted for many other ingredients.

Total Time: 1/2 hour

Yield: 6-8

Source: My Recipe

• pizza dough*
  • 1/4 lb fresh thin sliced deli ham
  • 1/4 lb thin sliced salami
  • 1/4 lb thin sliced provolone cheese

*I used ready-made pizza dough at the bakery, sometimes found frozen. Just thaw it out, it will begin to thaw right away.

1. Using a greased and floured large baking pan, I put my dough on a sheet of plastic wrap. I press out my dough until it is long and wide, about 12-14 inches long and 8-10 inches wide.
  2. Layer the ham first, using all the ham, then the salami, then the cheese. When ready to roll, start by, lifting the plastic up, and letting it roll itself over. After this, you don't need the help of the plastic wrap. Just roll gently, by folding the ends in any time you see the meats out of the ends. When you get to the end, and you will see the meats and cheese, fold them back into the dough and seal it with the dough.
  3. Last, using an egg wash, (1 egg beaten) and with a pastry brush, brush the tops of the calzone, it gives the crust a golden brown color.
  4. Cook at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Left it cool completely. I wrap and freeze my calzone, then take it out and slice it, and it slices beautifully. Put it on a cooking pan and heat it for 15 minutes.