Mock Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner
While the store shelves are just barren, we have to get what we can and work with it, even if it means changing a few things. Today being Saint Patrick's Day, I went to the grocery store to get everything for my corn beef and cabbage dinner. Well, much to my surprise, there was not a package of corned beef in the store. I was crushed! So I just went to the deli department and ordered a pound of thick sliced red corned beef. And worked it out from there, with a bit of the Luck of the Irish upon me!
- 6 thick sliced deli cut red corned beef
- 1 small cabbage, thickly cut
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 sweet onions, quartered
- 1 lb carrots, cut in chunks
- 1 small turnip, cut up in small pieces
- 4 whole white potatoes, peeled, cut in quarters
- 1 small cabbage, sliced thickly
- 3 large cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- Seasonings; black pepper, minced garlic, parsley, thyme, rosemary, basil,
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 carton (32oz) chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp vinegar or I used a Tbsp of Greek salad dressing
- Using a large covered skillet. Prep all your vegetables. Have everything ready, plus your spices.
- Start with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, (everything except the meat and cabbage). All in the skillet. Turn heat on high! When it starts to sizzle but not burn, pour 1/2 the chicken broth over the vegetables, stir and cover. Turn heat down to medium. For 15 minutes. Add more broth as needed. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are a bit tender.
- Then lay across the 6 slices of meat and then put all the cabbage on top spreading it evenly over. Cover for about 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Turn heat off. Keep covered. Open the can of beets.
- Serve in a wide deep bowl, getting a little of everything. Put some beets on the side! I was very surprised by the good flavor and the tender meat!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.