Mower Blades Won't Engage

Category Lawn Mowers
Finding that your lawn mower's blades won't engage, can leave you in a quandary. This is a guide about mower blades won't engage.

I have a John Deere D110 lawn tractor. Today I went out, made one short pass, shut off the blades at the driveway, turned around to go back and when I engaged the blades the machine shut off. I can start it right back up, but once I try to engage the blades, it shuts off. I will call the dealer tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any ideas? Thank you.

Answers

Turn your mower off and check how the blades turn underneath the deck. Any obstruction, damaged pulley shaft, or seized pulley can be the cause of that. Check your belt and make sure it is properly routed and that it does not hang up at the belt guides. Remove the pulley covers from the top of the deck, and check to make sure that he belt and pulleys are properly functioning.

Thank you! I checked one of the blades but not the other before calling dealer to pick it up. It was the other blade. A stone had lodged between the blade and the mower deck.

Technician said it was a thousand to one chance! He used a hammer to free the stone out and checked the blades. I will use the machine this weekend to make sure.

How do I get the blades to go so I can cut the grass?

By tyty from Mockville, NC

My mower blades will not engage, on my MTD pedal drive riding tractor model series 808K. The blades are new and the belt is on correctly, but it will still not engage.

By Candy from PA