My Dog is Afraid of Me

Developing trust between you and your pet can take patience. This guide is about my dog is afraid of me.

My 3 1/2 year old German shepherd is so scared of me I don't know what to do. Every time I go near him or in a room he is in, he goes the other way looking real scared. If I call him, you would think he is deaf. For some unknown reason this dog just doesn't like me. I have never hit him, he has always been well behaved. This all started about 6 months ago and it hurts me. I am the one in our house that does everything for him. Please help. I want my dog to love me as much as I love him.

By Jap from Hackensack, NJ

Answers

Be very gentle with him, especially your voice. Don't raise your voice to him. Keep telling him "it's all right sweetie, no one is gonna hurt you." Don't make sudden moves toward him, sit quietly and see if he will come to you for treats or for a favorite toy. I feel so bad for both you and the dog. Has anything changed? Someone different in the house?

When I got remarried, my little Shitzu would stay under the table all the time. He was scared of my husband's louder voice, and not being used to him being there. My husband worked awfully hard to gain his trust and did, but it was a while. Dogs can get their feelings hurt just like people, so don't give up on him. Just keep being sweet, hopefully he will come around.

Agree with the other poster who mentioned new behavior if there's been a change in your household; you don't mention being male or female. Is it possible that another person in the house ( or a neighbor or visitor that may resemble you), same gender as you, has done something to frighten the dog?

Also agree that you can work up trust by being caring, calm and consistent with your dog; but also keep an eye and ear out for anyone else he comes into contact with to see that everyone is also treating him that way.

My puppy is an all black (with small amounts of white hair on her belly) female Picador. She is still young around 3 or 4 months and ever since the first time I disciplined her she is extremely afraid of me. She will love on other people some, but I've noticed she is somewhat independent. However, any time I pick her up or call her she has a scared look on her face and when I do pick her up she grunts and stiffens up. I can't seem to get her to shake it. She will go to my mom and my dad and play with other dogs, but just not come to me. Anytime I try to play or pet her she runs under furniture.

Does anyone out there know what I can do to change the behavior? She is beautiful. I do not want her to hate me. I want to be her best friend, but I don't know what to do. Any feedback is welcome.

Answers

Seems like you need to take it slow with her. Instead of approaching her, try calmly laying on the floor with a comfy pillow and a snack she likes, don't immediately call her- just let her see that you are there with or without her, which should help to ease her fear. When you see you have her attention then quietly ask her if she would like to come have some. It may take a few tries but the calmer that you are the calmer she should become. Once you gain her trust, and she makes it to the pillow, again, use slow motions and quiet words- she should be your best friend soon enough

Speak to her in a soft voice and don't approach her. Let her come to you.