My House is Falling Apart

Category Home
Sometimes, repairs get ignored too long and can cause unsafe conditions. This guide contains advice if your house is falling apart.

My husband died in 1999, and he left me a 80 year old home. The floors are caving in, and the walls are busted. The roof is falling in and it's raining in the house and all I can do is pray. I've tried fixing it myself but all I can do is live in it because I have no where else to go. Can you please give me some advise?

Denise

Answers

By Gawdess (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Don't do the reverse mortgage! They will take your home. It's totally not worth it, especially since there are so many resources out there to help people. You just have to know where to look.

In my area we have something called the Time Dollar Network, basically people exchanging skills and services for each other. You could volunteer to walk someones dog and earn time dollars. You can in turn spend these to hire someone to do work on your house.

You may want to browse craigslist too. You might be able to find free supplies or people with skills looking for side jobs.

Here's another idea- Do you have an extra bedroom? Get a housemate! Use the extra money to remodel.

Best of luck! Think positive!

By Judy (Guest Post)

Try calling local housing authorities, women's centers, senior centers and churches in your area. You may be able to piecemeal enough grants and/or volunteer labor to make your home more livable.

Try contacting the Habitat for Humanity in your area.

My husband just turned 65 and I will be 60 in September. We've made one the smartest decisions in our life. We just sold our home and will be moving into a 2-bedroom apartment. My husband told me that if he died suddenly, he didn't want me to have to deal with this house by myself.

The best advice I can give you is to list your house with a realtor. Start searching on the internet for an afforable apartment. My husband and I found out that there are quite a number of apartments for senior citizens and the monthly rent is determined by your income.

I found our 2-bedroom apartment on http://www.rent.com

PS I received a peculiar email yesterday, maybe the poster thought that my husband passed away. MY HUSBAND IS WELL AND ALIVE!