My House is Falling Apart?

Category Home
Sometimes, repairs get ignored too long and can cause unsafe conditions. This page contains advice if your house is falling apart.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

April 23, 2008

My husband died in 1999, and he left me a 80 year old home. The floors are caving in, and the walls are busted. The roof is falling in and it's raining in the house and all I can do is pray. I've tried fixing it myself but all I can do is live in it because I have no where else to go. Can you please give me some advise?



By Gawdess (Guest Post)
April 24, 20080 found this helpful
Best Answer

Don't do the reverse mortgage! They will take your home. It's totally not worth it, especially since there are so many resources out there to help people. You just have to know where to look.

In my area we have something called the Time Dollar Network, basically people exchanging skills and services for each other. You could volunteer to walk someones dog and earn time dollars. You can in turn spend these to hire someone to do work on your house.


You may want to browse craigslist too. You might be able to find free supplies or people with skills looking for side jobs.

Here's another idea- Do you have an extra bedroom? Get a housemate! Use the extra money to remodel.

Best of luck! Think positive!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Judy (Guest Post)
April 23, 20080 found this helpful

Try calling local housing authorities, women's centers, senior centers and churches in your area. You may be able to piecemeal enough grants and/or volunteer labor to make your home more livable.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 23, 20080 found this helpful

Try contacting the Habitat for Humanity in your area.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 23, 20080 found this helpful

My husband just turned 65 and I will be 60 in September. We've made one the smartest decisions in our life. We just sold our home and will be moving into a 2-bedroom apartment. My husband told me that if he died suddenly, he didn't want me to have to deal with this house by myself.


The best advice I can give you is to list your house with a realtor. Start searching on the internet for an afforable apartment. My husband and I found out that there are quite a number of apartments for senior citizens and the monthly rent is determined by your income.

I found our 2-bedroom apartment on

PS I received a peculiar email yesterday, maybe the poster thought that my husband passed away. MY HUSBAND IS WELL AND ALIVE!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Read More Answers

Home and Garden Repair HomeApril 10, 2018
Coronavirus Tips
Summer Ideas!
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-08-05 14:06:35 in 3 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Add to PageAsk a Question