Need Extensive Dental Work

I was recently permanently disabled and now on Medicare (Blue Cross and Blue Shield). I need extensive dental work done, but BCBS doesn't cover it. What can I do if I can't afford to pay for work I need done? Does Medicare have any other options offered to them?


My husband is on Social Security Disability and has no insurance because SSD said they were 2 years behind when he went to sign up for his insurance. Now he has nothing and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He takes meds everyday to try to somewhat control his symptoms! How can this be it? Seems so unfair that we payed into this while we could work, now he has no insurance until who know's when? And I can't get my dental work done. If anyone has any solution that they know of, let me know.

Thank You

By KK from Lockport, NY

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

January 4, 20140 found this helpful

Some areas have dental clinics where you pay on a sliding fee scale depending on your household income. I'd suggest you call the Department of Human Services or you local health department to see if there is one near you.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 4, 20140 found this helpful

If you are near a university that has a dental program you may qualify for some work through them.


The truth is that many people need dental work that cannot afford it and have to find a dentist that will accept payments.
Medicare (or usually Medicaid for adults) does not cover dental work or hearing aids. Some states are different.
Most dental insurance plans cover very little over routine care.
A dental clinic is your best bet but they will not do it for free or not that I have ever known.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 5, 20140 found this helpful

Hi KK, your husband isn't on any government medical coverage? I am also disabled and i have medicaid and an HMO. Though when it comes to dental they only cover basics. Depending on his age you might also be able to sign him up for a discount prescription plan, I would also keep checking online (google) for any help on his medical which he should be able to apply for. With only the both of you having disability that is LOW income.


Now when it comes to dental, you have a few options, which a couple have already mentioned.
1 - looking for a dental school which will not charge you as much for the work (these will be students)
2 - Contacting local dentists to see if they have a payment plan
3 - Joining an additional coverage plan just for dental (they do have them)

Or since we are now in a world of bartering, maybe you have something you can barter to a dentist for the work or sell it for the cash.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Health & Beauty AdviceJanuary 2, 2014
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2018/11/06 14:37:46 in 665 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!