Needle Won't Move on Toyota 2260 Sewing Machine

I have inherited my grandma's sewing machine so it hasn't been used in a few years. I don't know much about them (hence incorrect terminology), but I have set it up ready to use and everything seems to operate normally except the most crucial part the needle won't move. I can turn the knob easily by hand and it moves when I push the pedal, but nothing happens to the needle. Please help!

By Emma from London, UK

Best Answer

Did she by any chance save her manual which should have come with it? It might be just a matter of tightening a screw or some little thing. If this doesn't work take it to a dealer and let them give it a look. Many times these check ups are free of charge, at least in the US they are. I will share this with you.... sometimes the biggest problem we encounter with our sewing machines will be a little thing we failed to notice. I hope this is true of yours, and that you get it worked out soon. Enjoy that machine!

Best Answer

I do repairs on vintage Singers (both electric and non) and it sounds as though the belt has snapped on your machine. The best thing to do with any machine that hasn't been used for a few years is find a qualified repair tech (most sewing centres either have an in-house tech, or someone they carry the machines to on a schedule) and have the machine serviced (around £40). The tech will inspect the machine, make any repairs needed (which will cause the price to rise of course), note any potential problems, and return the machine to you in ready-to-sew condition.

You can download a free copy of your machine manual here:
http://www.sups … oyota%20EC-1.pdf