Sewing Machine Needle Won't Move

I have an old Homemark sewing machine and it has been working excellently. I went to make a bow for my daughter this morning and the needle won't move up and down. I did some sleuthing on the internet and saw it might be the belt, but it's not I checked. It also isn't the winding bobbin lever in the wrong position. My motor is working just fine and the belt moves when I push my foot peddle, but my needle won't move. I also tried to put the needle down in the bobbin and it moves when I turn the wheel. It just won't move when I push the foot pedal. What happened? Is this going to be a large, costly repair or can I DIY? Desperately need it to finish up my homemade Christmas presents :(

By Ashley

Best Answer

Considering everything you've already checked and found to not be causing the problem, it's time for a trip to the repair tech - this isn't something you can fix at home. Sorry, wish I could give you a nice step-by-step walk-through on getting your machine back to sewing but there could be so many things going on it's best that a trained professional has a look at this point.

Depending on where you live, you are looking at around $100USD or less, and if you're really lucky it may only be around $50USD. Closer to $100 if it's been some time since you've had the machine in for a full servicing that includes cleaning places you cannot possibly reach at home with home tools (never use canned air! This only forces particles deeper) and oiling.

Best Answer

Mine has just done this, it was the rotary arm inside needed oiling.