New Dog Not Going Pee or Poop

Just the other day, I got a new dog. He is a Dachshund named Dom, I had gotten him from a friend of mine. My friend lives in the city and I live out in the country, so it was quite a long drive for him. I took him out for a walk along my property, hoping that he would go to the bathroom. He didn't, but I thought it was just because he went earlier. A few hours later, he had drank a bit and I thought he was ready to go. Nope, nothing. I started to get worried and there is still nothing, I don't know what to do and I'm scared that something will happen. What's wrong, what should I do?

Is he trained to go outside? Some are trained to only go inside on pads or paper. I would ask the friend what the routine is for the dog.