Obtaining Financial Power of Attorney

What do I do to make sure I'm the person over my mom's disability check? My granny was the person who was over it, but she died. But my mom's family is trying to take it and she wants me over it as I am her daughter. The family said I can't do it because I'm a felon.

Please help.

Financial Power of Attorney is usually assigned by the person. If your mother is of sound state of mind, she can sign it and you can have it notarized. As far as I know, there is no law saying you can't do it because you are a felon.

In your case, I believe, you will need the services of an attorney.
If you cannot afford an attorney then you should visit your local family services center and ask for help.

As to whether a felon can hold a financial POA each state may be different but I believe you can ask this question at your Social Security office since it is dealing with a SS divisibility check - go in person and have your social security number with you.

In any case, your mother will have appear in person to sign a legal POA.
You will need to have the POA form completed to take to a notary.
If you are having problems completing (or finding a correct form) you can do a search on Google for help with completing a financial POA and your zip code. There will be several sites that appear that can do that for you and it does not have to be an attorney. The cost will be low and they may also have a notary present to complete it.

You must understand that a doctor may have to certify that your mother is in a sound mind and has the right to do this or it can be overturned and made invalid.

Also; you need to understand that a POA power ends at the death of the your mother so it is not a will and anything she has/owns at death will go to her estate so she maybe should also have a will.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMay 20, 2019
📓
🌻
🎂