Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
This is my go-to custard pie recipe. I love coconut! If you prefer meringue to whipped topping, you can make it with the leftover egg whites.
Prep Time: About 20 minutes
Cook Time: About 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 55 minutes
Yield: One pie
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened (dry) coconut
- 1/2 tsp coconut flavoring
- 1 uncooked bottom pie crust (You can use the refrigerated, rolled pie crust)
- Scald milk in top of double boiler. Meanwhile combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks in a bowl.
- Pour the scalded milk into the mixed ingredients, and pour the mixture back into the double boiler. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut oil, shredded coconut and flavoring. Pour into pastry lined pie pan and crimp edges.
- Bake in 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes, then immediately turn down to 325 degrees F. Bake for an additional 10 to 20 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool and cover with whipped topping.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.