Opo Squash, Tofu, Tomato, and Shrimp Soup

Category Soups
This delicious soup combines tofu, tomato and shrimp with opo squash, also known as bottle gourd or long melon. It can be found at many Asian or Mexican markets. If you can't find it, zucchini would be a good substitute.

This is a very flavorful soup recipe that was taught to me by my mother. When time is limited, you can make this soup prepped and cooked in less than thirty minutes. This soup is commonly served with salty dishes to balance out the flavors. I cook this soup when I eat beef dishes.

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 20 mins

Total Time: 30 mins

Yield: 3 soup bowls

Source: Mother

• 1 pkg soft tofu
  • 1 Medium tomato
  • 2 Sprig green onions
  • 4 Cloves red garlic
  • 10 Large shrimp
  • 1/2 opo squash
  • 1/2 gal water
  • 4 pinch black pepper
  • 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2-3 Tbsp fish sauce

1. Peel skin of opo squash. Cut the opo in half the long way and remove the core. Then cut the opo in small pieces like pictured below. Chop 2 sprigs green onion and peel and slice red garlic.
  2. Peel large shrimp and mince fine. Sprinkle 4 pinches black pepper on shrimp.
  3. Cut tofu in cubes.
  4. Remove seeds from tomato and cut into slices.
  5. Using a small pot, add about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil on high heat to brown the red garlic. This will enhance the flavor of the soup.
  6. Meanwhile on your second burner, add 1/2 gallon of water to a boil in a large pot (3 mins).
  7. Once pot is boiled, transfer the cooked red garlic into the boiling water. Add the shrimp and stir (6 mins).
  8. Add opo squash and splash 2-3 tablespoons of fish sauce (4 mins).
  9. Add tomatoes, tofu and cover the pot with lid (5 mins).
  10. Pinch of pepper and green onion on top and remove from heat (2 mins).

Ooo I have to try this! I just found and tried opo for the first time ever. Loved it.

I hope you get to try this soup out. :D Very easy to re-create!