HomeRepair

Organizations That Help With Home Repair

Category Home

I didn't know if any of the organizations you would know of help young families repair their homes. I have a 1 year old and 1 on the way I don't have the money to fix my roof. My pipes are all bad, the floors are weak, and my siding is gone. I just don't know what to do. Any help would be great :(

By Martha S

What kind of condition was the house in when you bought it? Apparently, it wasn't in real good condition at the time. I would sell it as is and move into an apartment. At least in a rental you have to worry about repairs. I assume you have a Social Worker/Welfare Worker at the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office, if you are so low income that you need help with repairs. Talk to that person and see if they know of any available help. There is a lesson to be learned from this and that is to make repairs one at a time, as they are needed, instead of waiting until a lot of things need to be done. Isn't your significant other able to help with repairs. Before I go into detail about the only organization that I know of I'm going do some research and then make an additional comment.

The organization that I had in mind sounds like they only service low income elderly and disabled. Another thing would be for you to call Habitat for Humanity. They might be able to help you. Also call 211, that is a nationwide helpline number. That keeps a list of different organizations across the country.

Hi - redhatterb usually has such good answers that it is unnecessary to add anything else.

I just wondered if you are renting or buying? How could you buy something in this condition? You could visit your local church and ask for advise as they usually have resources for you to contact.

I am sure you are receiving benefits for yourself and your children so why not ask some of your questions at the office where you apply for these? Sometimes they can help with contacts where children are involved.

Sorry - but sometimes we all have to take responsibility for our own actions before we ask others for help (others who may be having difficulties through no fault of their own).

I would like to add - redhatterb has an excellent point about contacting Habitat but their program is not for everyone as you do have a thorough evaluation before they agree to help you.
I work with Habitat and theirs is not a "give away" program like so many other organizations.