Organizing for a Disability

Hi all, I am disabled and it took a long time to get used to it, that areas will be limited and some things are out of being part of my life. Yes, I had to change the thinking first, then the home.

Step two is to change furnishings of the home. If a cupboard was to stay put, I made sure it was solid to the floor no cleaning under or behind it. If furnishings were to be in the middle of the room, I assured they had legs that were high enough to get a dust mop under. All tables I changed to simple, straight and easy to clean.

My handicap is not being able to walk steadily so I sometimes need a walker or cane. I assured there would be spots for these things to park, until used, the less needed things are in low or high places. All rooms and needs are on the same level. Things were in groups and kept together so there was no extra stress added. The phones are in three places, then music is with remotes. I hang little pockets on a string to hold remotes.

I have a favorite chair with many things I use daily; knitting, writing paper, laptop, trash can, Wet Ones, and tissue. I found a organizer for my closets that I could put in at a height that was good for me when I am leaning on the walker. My pantry is also set up according to my needs. Some things I had wheels put on to be able to move bigger things on my own.

I hope this helps others that have to make a change in your life. Life can go on comfortably as long as we think in a healthy meaningful way.

Editor's Note: The photo is a stock image, not of Rain V.

Whether your disability is permanent or temporary - like after surgery - these are some great ideas. More:

For your walker - make something with pockets to attach to the front of your walker - you'll be able to keep items you need most in the pockets.

Also - an apron with pockets is also great for keeping needed items close at hand.
having a handled basket or bucket in various places with items most needed at that spot helps having to get up and down.
If in bed and you have a bunch of items to keep nearby - water bottle, phone, remote etc - use a large stock pot! It's heavier, it won't tip over and it wont be a bother if anything spills in it.

Coping with things like this is all about looking at things a little differently - using tote bags to move things up and down stairs or around the house instead of carrying them, looking at items you use for one purpose and thinking of it in another way helps to make life so much easier.

I find that using cloth bags to hold items near where they are needed is helpful, they can be hung on chairs or hooks placed at a convenient height. They are easy to grab and hold onto. Plastic buckets can be useful to store items in, the handle is useful. Cloth bags can store small appliances in a cupboard, you can use the handle to pull the appliance out using a grabber, the same with other lightweight items. Power strips make it easier to plug items in, I keep mine turned off when not in use.

Creativity and thinking outside of the box is the name of the game. After I had my leg amputated there were simply things I had to find a new way to do. A bike basket on the front of your walker works great to move things with you. A front loading washer works great, I put a shower chair in front of mine to sit on to change loads, and used a grabber to get to articles that were at the back. A stool in front of the stove made it easier to cook and while in a wheelchair was also a great place to do prep work. Attitude is everything, and being a little stubborn helps too, lol! I refused to give up control of my life or let my disability win. When there is a will it finds a way, never give up, and always fight the good fight.

Hi,It was so hard for me when my life took an abrupt stop. I was working on a pt. when I had a stroke, and I was done.We had to rebuilt a lot of areas w/hand bars. We would've moved if we could've, stairs are still very hard. My husband is my hero, thank god he retired from the service.So we aren't making the money we were, but he's able to do all the things I used to do. I truly hate giving up cooking, and yes laundry. I found a place called Cardinal Hill rehabilitation hospital, they offer$5/day warm swimming pools. They offer free swim programs for hotchkins, arthritis and zumba. And swim lessons, 5x a wk. It has helped me so much.