Making Things Easier for the Disabled

This is by no means a medical advice story or something that anyone else has to do. It's simply tips I have used to make my life easier and it might work for anyone who is interested in trying them. That said, I have multiple disabilities and have learned that, the more I make things easier, the longer I can live on my own.

As most of you know, we tend to slow down with age. Add to the mix arthritis, Parkinson's, and diabetes, and you face challenges every day. At least I do. So, here are some things I have learned that make the good days better and the bad days livable.

The Kitchen:

Opening drawers has become a challenge, so I tend to keep as much as I can out in the open. All utensils are in containers, easy to reach. I separate the stuff in the drawers into sections using clear plastic cookie containers, free and easy to lift.

I swapped out the fridge doors from one side to the other so I wouldn't have to keep walking to the other side and then try and hold the doors open. That also means I can take things out and put on the counter, rather than take out some, close the door, put them on the counter and repeat.

I submitted a tip a while back about having a "morning drink center" and it's really been handy. I have my carafe of tea or coffee, cocoa, spoons, and things to add to them all in one place. The cups are above and the microwave is next to it, so it's a "one shot deal".

There are no rugs to slip or trip me up. It's the kind of kitchen that has everything on one side, then a wall on the other.
Because I have some little tables and cabinets on that wall, I can always reach one side or the other should I become unsteady.
I have light dishes, mugs for soups and stews with handles, an electric can opener, and a toaster oven big enough for almost anything I might put in a larger oven.
Not having to bend over to pick up hot things is a real plus.

The Bathroom:

One of the most challenging rooms in any home, the bathroom is where I strove to keep things safest. I have a rack that fits over the door. I keep all my insulin equipment up high, as well as robes, a flashlight, towels, and such.

I sit to take a shower, wear older Crocs for sure footing, and have handles for when I want a soak, which I take nightly for my joints. I have a seat riser on the commode which helps my knees.

All like things inside the cabinet are in veggie cans, so I can grab one and have them all at my fingertips. Any pretties on shelves are glued so if I grab a shelf unit, nothing falls on me.

The Bedroom:

Sometimes, the greatest injuries come from the silliest of negligences. Not putting away a pair of shoes at night can mean a hospital visit in the morning.

Falling injures more elderly and disabled than just about anything, so I make sure nothing is in the way before I go to bed. I have a bottle of water and the charged phone on the night stand, hang my glasses from a drawer knob, and have the night light across the room.

I put the barley bag in the microwave to warm my feet at night, and take my night time meds like insulin and supplements while it's heating. Routines can be monotonous, but some are essential.

Getting Dressed:

I wear pants more than anything, so I use them to lift my foot up to my knee, then put my sock and shoe on at the same time. That saves me from bending, and I only have to bring up my foot once. I leave my shirts with buttons buttoned in the closet and just put them on over my head. Heels are a thing of the past, I am afraid.

If I have a day where I am pretty busy "puttering" I take my apron along and carry things like scissors, tape, notepad and pen, a cleaning tool, etc. I love having what I need with me to save me steps.

If I can't slip a necklace or bracelet over my head or wrist, I don't buy it. There is no one to help with clasps, which are hard for me.

Exercise:

I know I should walk outside, but that is not safe where I live. It's a rough neighborhood and the sidewalks aren't lit. I have a small stair stepper that keeps my blood and heart at a good level and has a handle on the top for stability.

When I am on the computer or watching TV, I pump my feet like I was driving the car every so often to keep my circulation going, and have a small stepstool so the chairs don't cut off circulation. I also reach really high and stretch both arms when I am sitting, which helps to keep fatigue out of the back.

I have never smoked, don't drink, and stay away from Aspartame and MSG. I recently took a diabetic education class, and now eat much better, keeping my weight down and my energy up.

Turning 57 last month wasn't a big deal. I have always been realistic about my age. But, the limitations I have to face each day made me realize something that I wanted to share with you.

It's the little things we can do to help us live and independent life that are just as, if not more, important than living a longer life. If the fates allow, I might have another 40 years left in me. The more time I can stay at home the less time I will spend at someplace whos name starts with Shady Grove.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Thank you for sharing & God bless!

Excellent story. I'm ten years your senior, but I, too, am diabetic and have recently begun having arthritic problems. I am still experimenting and discovering ways to help myself where problems with arthritis are concerned.

I've already arranged most things, like utensils, pots and pans, etc., in convenient places for me...but then I'm one of those "a place for everything and everything in its place" kind of people, so this is something I have always done. But I really love the idea of having the refrigerator door open from the other side. And I can see now that I need some kind of railings in my bathtub.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about a raised toilet, but that would certainly help my arthritic knees. I guess one thing in my favor, too, is that I'm only 5 feet tall, so I'm used to everything I need being within my range, i.e., items in lower cabinets are just a slight bend away.

My real problem in this department is reaching things on a second or third shelf in the kitchen and other places. My husband bought one of those things like a claw that reaches for cans, etc., on taller shelves, but it's not always that easy to use.

I expect as I go along my mobility may decrease, but we just may be surprised. Someone may come along with help for arthritics. Always keep hope alive. As for diabetes, I've been fighting this for almost 20 years now. I and my doctor keep on top of everything going on "out there" in our diabetic world.

This may not sound like hope, but I've been told there may be a cure within the next 10 years, or at least some honest to goodness help for those of us with this terrible disease. Meantime, sounds like you're doing everything right...especially exercising as much as possible.

I changed to the Lantus Solar Star Pen this year and it has been a Godsend. I haven't gained weight on it as I have on all the other diabetic meds I've been on over the years. For me, things are looking better, and I wish the same for you.
Blessings.

The raised toilet seat looks like the photo enclosed. I found mine for .25 and after a bleach soaking, it works so well for me.

Here is a link to Walmart so you can see the prices, some as cheap as 15.00.

http://www.walm … -4-Inch/15120058

I am only 5'2" so I feel for you. Just being shorter means I am closer to the floor, but that isn't much comfort when you fall. I too hope for a cure.

Till then, I have to deal with the fact that a simple blood test would have diagnosed this buzzkiller about 30 years ago, and I would have stopped the ravages then.
Sandi/PBP

The photo didn't load so I will try again. The other thing is you need to have the seat up too, to install it. Sorry guys we win!

God bless you!

God bless you! I have limitations also. Thanks so much for a pick-me-up. I love all of your posts!

Grab bars are your friend. I have 1 installed just outside the tub/shower enclosure and 1 beside the toilet. Be sure they are in stalled into a beam or joist with 3 " screws. Sometimes they come with shorter screws, it is worth the few extra dollars to get longer screws. I can't tell you how many times the bar by the tub has saved my a**.

Hi so glad to see your post, these are very helpful ideas and you are dealing with your problems well. God Bless you and take care, I too have arthritis and fibromyalgia exercise is a real pain ... pardon the pun ... anyway thank you for your ideas and as I said, God Bless.

What a great article. I have Neurofibromatosis 2, and have had 3 surgeries so far on my spinal cord with at least 1 more. My ex walked out on our marriage almost a year ago. I have some mobility issues but manage fairly well. I will be incorporating some of those ideas. Keep strong and God bless. It is a blessing to be able to manage on my own and it is wonderful to have extra tips to keep my independence. Thank you

Hang in there - I had diabetes for 15 years but do not have it any longer. Was very sick and in hospital 3 weeks with some of that time on ventilator in intensive care. When I got out I was in rehab and wondering why I was not getting the diabetic diet meals. Asked the doctor and she said, " Eat what you want. You do not have it any more." So it is possible to get rid of it. Been over a year and it has not come back.

Donna you are very welcome. I just shared a link back to this article on my facebook page. If I help just one person it will be worth it. Blessings to you too.

I, too, have to make adjustments due to arthritis. I just became a widow and my wonderful husband loved helping me and doing the cooking. One of the problems I was having was being able to cook. I invested in a small electric skillet about 8 inches square that I use at the table and am able to fix better meals than the easy out (bagels and cream cheese) for convenience. I also found a 3 quart slow cooker which I load up in the morning and by dinner time have a complete meal. I love both of them and use them regularly. You soon learn to work smarter when you have disabilities. These items for me are well worth it.

Anonymous

Hope you all are finding more and more simple things to make your quality of life better. I think it soundslike you are working smart!
It's hard work to manage chronic illnes especially for a long time.