Organizing for Your Disability

My son has Down Syndrome so we've learned to make things simple around our home. He inherited a day bed but I found another twin at a garage sale in excellent condition. I moved his bed to the center of his room so he could walk around it to make it, much easier than making a day bed which needs long arms to reach to the back when making it.

I lowered his closet rod and added drawers to the closet to allow him easier access to his clothing in the mornings.

We try to stay with routines since he learns best by repetition. We modify a lot of household chores for him too, like keeping his peanut butter and jam where he can reach it to make his sandwiches and only sorting laundry into lights and darks so it's easier for him to learn laundry.

We've gotten an iPad for assistance in ordering at restaurants on his own and keep everyday articles at his level for easier access. We take walks with his wheelchair. He pushes it then I push him when he tires, he has pain from hip dysplasia.

To help him learn to zip his jeans, I added a paper clip to the zipper so he could grasp it better. Sometimes I surf the web for appliances that can help him with tasks he has trouble with, you can find all kinds of things. Also talk with others who have the same disability or whose family member has the same disability, they are usually more than willing to share their experiences.

What wonderful suggestions for teaching your child to be independent. Tips such as these are useful for all children, as everyone needs to learn to be self-sufficient.

That is so wonderful. I applaud you for helping your child in these wonderful and creative ways!